Server and site up and running

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dayne
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Server and site up and running Reply with quote

Hello people its been a while since my last post because ive been going over loads of paper work, setting up the server and building the site to go with it. I had to build 4 3D virtual environements also so thats why theres such a delay between posts.

I know i am up for a verbal slapping here, but what the heck, if the critism is positive and helps me correct any bugs or blems it more than welcome.
If you cant control yourself and need to be insulting please dont bother posting.

I would like to take this time to thank Aprelium for such a great server and inform them that i have slapped an advert for them under the section partners. I took the liberty of using your existing images for this, without the intention of theft. If you guys dont agree then let me know i will remove all trace of your images.

Also anyone wanting to visit the 3D virtual environements must have Direct X 8 or higher and must download and install the plugin for 3D websites.
The plugin exist for MSIE only for the moment. Netscape etc is under production.

One last thing, this site has been optimised for MSIE only. I will be making it compatible with others soon.

Regards
Dayne

PS some feedback would be great, the site is for English and French browsers and myself i use a french one. So within the english version broken links, display speed, missing images, forgotten spellcheck etc etc . . . would be highly appreciated.

Thanks again
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheres the link? Was it the "WWW" button under your profile? If so, that didn't work; I got "connection refused." Sounds like a router problem.
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: OOOOOOps! Reply with quote

LOL, well spotted, i guess it would help.

www.intermedia-services.com

changed my profile also.
Shinji_Ikari
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the site needs a little work but thats nothing a good dose of adobe photoshop cant fix up. looks pretty good tho
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Dayne
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinji_Ikari
thanks for taking the time to visit ;)
Could you be a little more precise in what you mean!
What and where for example and why!

Did you visit any of the 3D environements? I hope so because if you didnt, you've only visited a quarter of the site and taken it at face value, My site is a little more complexe than a few graphics on the main page. The 3D part is what its all about, and i need feedback on that also. I think you will find it makes up for some of that missing dose of photoshop you spoke about. If you visit and think differently, dont hesitate to inform me, all feedback is great.

The virtual computer is quite a visit in itself, use the space bar and jump from hard drive to cable and climb right up to the top, and the art gallery will give you a whole new percpective for showing your photos and artwork.

Let me know

Dayne
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the IFRAME in the middle; it seems to clash. Also, the advertisments on the right could look better if they were more descrete. The backround lines are also questionable.

I think the main problem is that a lot of colors clash into other colors. You go from a grey page to a blue-purple background in the IFRAME.

Just an idea....
-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3d stuff isn't working for me... Probobly my outdated computer.

Image hosted by abyss powered website
Image copyright some random person (I made it......)
Abyss > Apache (Meaning abyss is better than apache)
My site powered by abyss->(Undergoing construction)
Dayne
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: About 3D Reply with quote

For the 3D, i started creating and displaying on an old
Pentium 2, 233mhz
The ideal graphics card is at least a gforce 2 all others above are better.
As for ATI, not all their cards are compatible, you will need a more recent one. My self i have a gforce 2 a gforce 4 and an ATI 9000, the 3D works fine on all cards.

I know that the 3D works because its been tested by other builders, for which i humbley thank them. Obviously, here, new forum, new comunity so your opinions and thoughts are just as welcome.

You know its quite amusing going to different forums and discovering different people and their attitudes, and ways of speaking and dealing with problems.

Almost like going from one country to another and being a little confused by the culture changes. The good thing is though, theres no jetlag in the forums;)
Dayne
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: iNaNimAtE Reply with quote

iNaNimAtE,

Just saw your post, and the images to the right are a little WOW wheres my sunglass, but the bottom one i cant touch its not mine. Its a charitable organisations logo here in France. they help distribute meals and clothes to the more needy. Ok the top one for the domain names yes that could eventually be toned down a little.
The iframes i like, although there is one drawback with them. They force the virtual environement to display within. Which is small and doesnt really give anyone the full impression of the environement. My friends within another forum, like you have pointed this out to me and my reply is the same to you..... yeah your right (iframe stays though) i must put an option to visit in full screen mode.

What do you suggest for the background!!?? But dont forget i dont want to take away the wow factor from the 3D worlds with an over charged page, hence NO animated gifs. That is why my initial thoughts and color was grey, bland normal, strict and uniform then blown out of proportion by the 3D which believe me contains more color and thing to see or interact with in ways that are simply impossible with standard websites.
for example, an online concert by Lauryn Hill (fugees) was streamed onto a wall inside a virtual concert hall. You can have moving or rotating objects, you can teleport from one location to another, interact and open doors and much much more. There was even a partnership with Eidos interactive. We can use FREELY (for this language only) the original textures from the first four Tomb Raider games. It great fun....

Thanks for checking it out for me, as i said at the very starting post its just a base site to get something online. Now its time to work on it and correct any conneries that i may have made. So as you can imagine there will be quite a few updates over the next few weeks so feel free to check it out again and keep me informed.

Thanks again
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound like a Marketing Executive :D (that's a good thing...)

I was trying to come up with a replacement for the background, but I couldn't think of anything. It is probably fine unless someone comes up with a better idea. You could always test out a solid color, possibly a light grey. Or maybe just try out plain ol' white..?

Good luck
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

specific eh? ok well the nav bar seems a little out of place with the italic text on it and make the backgrounds of each page fit in with the site and may i suggest touching up the boarders and also the stripped back ground makes it seem like u can scroll over more but u cant. anywho its your site i am not trying to corrupt anyones visions

Speaker For The Banned
Dayne
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iNaNimAtE
Nah! im not a marketing executive although i am working on it. LOL.

Im just trying to convince you guys to see for yourselfs what 3dml is and how easily you could be building 3D websites yourselves. It took me 2 weeks to BROWSE and follow the 20 page tutorial and from there i could build basic 3d worlds. Rotating or flashing lites, popups, fog effects etc etc.

As well as that i guess you could say im a little proud of myself for actually getting my own server on the go. Its amazing the freedom it gives, im just a happy dude thats all.

Shinji_Ikari
Thanks for coming back, are you saying that everything is deformed on your browser? Thats odd, it alignes nicely from here. Are you using something other than Internet Explorer? Because i did say that the site was built for MSIE, and that i have still to do the necessairy so that its compatible with everyone( well as much as possible).
Normaly all my pages where built to fit within the iframe apart from services and partners (they scroll down). And dont worry you wont corrupt any visions, but your remarks can certainly help to change them.
Thanks

Anyone else getting odd pages sizes under MSIE. This is the first time anyones mentioned this, and im not sure what it could be.

Thanks again all,
some random person
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, forgot to install the plugin :oops: Wow, those are cool :D

iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayne wrote:
It took me 2 weeks to BROWSE and follow the 20 page tutorial and from there i could build basic 3d worlds.

2 weeks just to browse?! That is crazy... 3D must be really complicated.
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plugin doesn't even load up so I can download
that , it does look cool , how do you install it :(

I have winXP
with
IE 6 Browser

How long do I have to wait ? 6 hrs
Dayne
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: about 3dml Reply with quote

Sorry it took so long to get back......

Some random person..... Nice one forgot the plugin, lol. Glad you like them helps a little with bland look of the site, dont you think?

Get the plugin here, get the offline tutorial in 4 or 5 different languages here and get help from us there in the forums too.

http://www.flatland.com/ me i am the M@gician

from there you can either go back to my site and have a good nose around or check out some of the other builders work at flatland.

As for building in 3DML its actually very simple, that is, if you have at least some idea about html. I mean they are similar in the way you build and put them together. 3DML is just a markup language.
The actual building is like playing with lego building blocks and slapping sticky back pictures on them.a cube next to a cube with a brick image makes a great wall. Its that simple.
Try downloading and going over the tutorial, believe me if you follow it through from page one, by the time you get to page 4 you will have built your first 3D environement, i estimate no more than 15 minutes.
Go for it you will see what i mean when i say 2 weeks...... No BS

Ok once you have mastered building worlds with every prebuilt object you can think of cube, sphere, chairs door, trees etc etc.... Yes it can then get a little more complexe, but that is only when the freely usable blocks are no longer what you need and you require 3D elements a little more complexe. But hey i think you will find all you need to get you up and building amazing 3D worlds is already at your disposition. Just snap the objects together give it an image and blow your friends minds away.
some random person
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i've been learning php and im really good at html, so I probobly take a look.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Powered by Abyss All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: