Windows XP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaTt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:08 am    Post subject: Windows XP Reply with quote

HI All,

Great program, but I found it a little tricky to get to display pages to the outside world in Windows XP. This is probably obvious to most users, but it wasn't to me - so that's why I am posting this. To display pages with the firewall in XP active do the following:

Go to the network connection that you use to dial out, click it. This will give you the status box. Now click properties. Now click the advanced tab. Turn your firewall on using the check box if it isn't already. Now click settings (down the bottom) and services will come up. Click add (down the bottom) and call it whatever you want. Enter your IP address, make sure TCP is selected and make sure the port numbers are the SAME in each box (you have already set these when you set up the site - same number). That's it! Now everyone can see your web site!

Hope this helps someone out there.

MaTt.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Windows XP Reply with quote

Thank you Matt for that great tip.
K.C.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:00 pm    Post subject: Win Xp and trying to run a Web Server Reply with quote

I have tried this thinking AH HA! Unfornately it is not the solution. I have a sSpeedstream router that forwards to my machines IP. I tried this solution but still my server is invisible (url not found). I am indeed live as far as DNS goes and my Mailserver has been working fine for some time. It is only the Web server I am having trouble with. Shieldsup at GRC.COM finds my smtp and pop3 ports but does not show port 80. Am I missing something else? I have been trying for over three weeks and cannot find the info I am looking for.
K.C.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Win Xp and trying to run a Web Server Reply with quote

K.C. wrote:
I have tried this thinking AH HA! Unfornately it is not the solution. I have a sSpeedstream router that forwards to my machines IP. I tried this solution but still my server is invisible (url not found). I am indeed live as far as DNS goes and my Mailserver has been working fine for some time. It is only the Web server I am having trouble with. Shieldsup at GRC.COM finds my smtp and pop3 ports but does not show port 80. Am I missing something else? I have been trying for over three weeks and cannot find the info I am looking for.

I forgot to mention that I can indeed browse the site via any computer on the private network.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Win Xp and trying to run a Web Server Reply with quote

K.C. wrote:
K.C. wrote:

I forgot to mention that I can indeed browse the site via any computer on the private network.

Check if something (especially your ISP) is blocking port 80. To know if that it is the case, change the web server port to 8000 or 8080 and check if it is accessible.
For your information, this issue is related to your network and not to the web server.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: