cant get to my own site (router problem?)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
R3P7i
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject: cant get to my own site (router problem?) Reply with quote

I can get there by 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.2.2 (LAN IP) but...

whenever I try to use my WAN IP or my no-ip account (which redirects to my WAN IP) to get to my site from behind my router, I just get the router login promt for username and pass. I know my site works, I can get there from computers not on my LAN.

For example, when I look at this topic, it brings up the login prompt for my router when it gets to my sig.

Is this caused by routers in general, or just crappy Dell ones like mine? Is there a way around it?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works from anywhere else? Are you sure you fowarded the port to your lan ip? It's weird that it works outside your lan though...

Image hosted by abyss powered website
Image copyright some random person (I made it......)
Abyss > Apache (Meaning abyss is better than apache)
My site powered by abyss->(Undergoing construction)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not wierd at all - routers generally can't handle sending traffic back to themselves, only forwarding it one way or the other. You won't be able to view your site via your No-IP name from behind the router because when it resolves the IP it resolves to it's own external IP. It can't send traffic out on the external interface that should go directly back to itself, so it fails.

As a work around, if you add your No-IP name and the LAN IP of the server to the hosts file of the machines inside your LAN, you will be able to access it via the No-IP name but without the router attempting to send the traffic out onto the internet.

More details here :

http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3445
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: