Firewall?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you had any problems using a firewall?
Yes
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
No
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
Why do you have a poll on this amazingly dumb topic ?
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 16

Blog
-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Firewall? Reply with quote

Does it matter whether you have a firewall or not? I mean, can other people access my site on my computer, if I have a firewall ? :? Can someone answer? thanks.. :P
-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Blog--

I know that some people have reported issues with their firewall. I use McAfee 3.3.1 and I have heard people on this forum report problems with it. I, personally, have had no problems with it and Abyss.

One guys experience... :)

Axis
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
senshi
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Firewall? Reply with quote

Blog wrote:
Does it matter whether you have a firewall or not? I mean, can other people access my site on my computer, if I have a firewall ? :? Can someone answer? thanks.. :P

Well you see its like this...
You are sharing your entire computers resouces and files including your personal bits.

You dont need a server to get info or break into a persons PC but it helps.

A firewall keeps out unwanted visitors and hard drive rapists, system file poachers and theifs.

Your computer can also be used as a rely to carry out attacks on other computers and computer networks.

You put at risk everyone in your address book and all your friends end up getting spam and other things emailed to them, your passwords are up for grabs and any credit card numbers that may in your internet cache files.

Their is loads of things up for grabs on a computer, including IE browser GUI ID's and your operating system keys.

Not to run one is your choice, having been hacked in such a manner, I can tell you, I will never go without a firewall again.
Blog
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Firewall? Reply with quote

Thanks. Just have to wait'n'see i guess. :wink:
-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows XP's firewall will work if you configure it right, I think ZoneAlarm will work too if its done just right but Im not sure.
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have windows XP and zone alarm and i type in my IP in the adress bar and it dosnt work :?: and it did a few days ago :?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fourtwentymatt
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Norton Personal Firewall Reply with quote

I have Norton Personal Firewall it works great. It keeps out many intruders. I haven't had a problem with it in 2 years. I have the level of security set on "Meduim". It doesn't stop my website from running. I love this program.

PS: I downloaded it off KaZaA.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloading security software from Kazaa really isn't a good idea :lol: Still, at least it wasn't an antivirus 8O

Quote:
A significant surge in malware intentionally being posted and unknowingly being shared on P2P file sharing networks. For example, according to new research conducted by Hughes, 45% of the free files collected via KaZaA, the most popular program for downloading free files and music, were viruses, Trojan horse programs and backdoors. ?Organizations need to warn their employees about file-sharing applications and the danger they pose to them at work and at home,? advises Hughes.

http://www.truesecure.com/company/press/pr_20031229.shtml
AwPhuch
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absoluetely the best firewall/router (linux based) combo is SmoothWall

You dont have to know anything about Linux to get it working, and it will run on as weak a hardware as a 486DX!!!!

The other good thing about it, its free (GPL)

Brian
AwPhuch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I've had with firewalls was with the *hardware* router which I forgot to forward port 80 (thus no access to the webserver was allowed). All software firewalls I've used worked without any problems (as long as I set the correct rights/rules to Abyss).
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe i use no firewall at all for about a year now and still no problems. (24/7)
Only these kids (and infected boxes) trying to run Nimda or whatever code and don`t succeed thnx to AWS.
I have to add that i`m behind a router.
At first i had Xitami now i have AWS for about 4 months and stil going.

Great thing,

Beyooo DeDreun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: