How To Host Your Own DNS Server.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slyguy
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: How To Host Your Own DNS Server. Reply with quote

Hey

I was wondering how you would set up your own DNS server so that you host your own .net or .com without having to pay?

I have tried Simple DNS Plus but its confusing :?

Please guys all your help would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to set up a DNS server.

Have a look at www.ZoneEdit.com
Karasu Kami
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather host my own DNS, i mean..you still have to go out and buy a domain name to use that service.

So answer his question! ^^;
http://quartermoon.info
http://loc.paeon-hosting.com
http://genjipoetry.paeon-hosting.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't host your own .net or .com without first paying for a .net or .com domain name. Getting a DNS server doesn't mean you can just set up whatever .com you want without first registering it. Most registrars will not charge to set up DNS after you pay for the name.

Considering the extra the hassle of trying to set up and configure a DNS server, it's not worth it - it's one of those things that if you need to ask how to set one up, I don't think you should be trying... Hence my answer - just use ZoneEdit, which provides their DNS services for free.

Last edited by Anonymoose on Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
amt167
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: same question Reply with quote

the same question has been asked b4 and exactly the same answer given USE ZONEEDIT
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
slyguy
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Sorr Reply with quote

God I was just asking mate. Anyway thanks for your help i'm thinking of buying a dns off no ip.
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI,

You can buy/register "whatever.com", etc... over at www.godaddy.com for $7.95 a year. Eight bucks for your own domain name ain't that bad, IMHO. :)
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I use ZoneEdit for www.cfxnetworks.com (my site) and it works fine. But if you really really want to host your own DNS, then this is what you do:

You can download the most popular software: BIND (Berkeley Internet Name Domain). It is available at www.isc.org
However I warn you; setting up DNS is not easy at all. You have to really know what you are doing. ISC provides some help, but in the end you will either have to call up the local techie, or start reading tutorial after tutorial to get it right.

The second option, if you are running Windows Server 2000/2003, they provide DNS software also. This is easier than BIND, but it is still very complicated. You will probably have better luck with that. I do belive Red Hat Linux also provides DNS software; for the linux user of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: