Game site powered by Abyss - survives slashdotting with ease

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lawrence
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Game site powered by Abyss - survives slashdotting with ease Reply with quote

I've had two minor slashdot links in the past, but i've been gunning for a mainpage slashdotting for a long time, and today I finally got one. In truth I wanted it to see how my home connection and tiny server would cope with the onslaught, and I'm (very very) pleased to say Abyss kicked ass. Seven pages with SSI (two includes each) totalling almost 2MB have been served non-stop for over five hours so far.

At first my max simultaneous connections was too low (at a mere 80) but I cranked it up to 200, then 500, and then 700 and people finally stopped whining about not being able to retrieve pages, or missing images.

I had contingency plans with backup servers and load-sharing special pages but never had to implement the plan.

Can't tell what I served yet, the daily log analyzing has been going for 2 hours 40 mins so far and it's still not done! Normally takes about 20 mins total. (looks like it's finishing up now, actually, yay).

Looks like: 8.85GB of traffic, 98% in about 5 hours. 239,000 hits, 41,000 pages served. I'm very, very pleased.

Server runs on a mere P2 450 w/256MB, Windows XP. Also runs PHP + Perl, + mySQL, as well as an email + FTP server (which was busy the whole time also).

I couldn't ask for more. Bravo Aprelium.

Lawrence.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Game site powered by Abyss - survives slashdotting with Reply with quote

Lawrence,

Thank you :D The access statistics are really very nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Powered by Abyss All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: