Abyss architecture

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mdk754
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Abyss architecture Reply with quote

Since Abyss is closed source, I'm just curious if anyone from Aprelium can confirm how Abyss works internally. Is it threaded, or asynchronous? (ie. process based vs event based)

I'm not quite sure if I'm phrasing that right, what I'm asking is does abyss handle concurrent connections in a manner analogous to the way Apache does things, or something like nginx?

FYI, I've been a long time user of Abyss, and love it. Great work guys.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aprelium-support
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Abyss architecture Reply with quote

Mdk754,

Thank you for your interest and your positive feedback about our software.

Abyss Web Server is a multi-threaded server. But it outperforms servers which have similar architecture such as Apache because it tunes its behavior to the served load and contents.

Multithreading was adopted in 2001 since it was the only common and reliable technology to build a server on multiple operating systems. Windows 95 and 98 at that time supported little to none event driven networking. Linux kernel event driven techniques started to emerge in version 2.2 but were subject to numerous changes until they were finalized and stabilized (as an API) in 2.6.

So we focused on multithreading and tried to get the most out of it.

Since 95 and 98 are dead now and since Linux has a stable event-driven API, we'll be upgrading our architecture slowly but steadily to an event-driven one in the future. It won't be 100% event-driven because modern multi-core processors still require multithreading to maximize their use.
Mdk754
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Abyss architecture Reply with quote

This is great news that it's on the way. Surely an event driven approach could bring even more performance to Abyss (and perhaps a lower memory footprint).
Typically I've used Abyss on Debian, but I'm sure the Windows people would appreciate the improvements as well.

Is there an Abyss 2.10 in the works? Would we have to wait for something like Abyss 3 for these changes to possibly make the cut?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aprelium-support
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Abyss architecture Reply with quote

Mdk754 wrote:
Is there an Abyss 2.10 in the works? Would we have to wait for something like Abyss 3 for these changes to possibly make the cut?

Sure. Development is never interrupted despite the relatively long delay between each two consecutive versions.

The new architecture will progressively be introduced in the coming releases. We decided against a major rewrite and will proceed smoothly to substitute classic threading with event-driven (+multicore awareness.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: