Can't Connect Outside of Network

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoneDust
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Can't Connect Outside of Network Reply with quote

Ok. I've been reading this forum all day to find an answer, but can't find one. I am an avid web designer and decided to see if I could run from my pc, instead of dishing tons of money. I have alot of sites I wanna develope and decided to test them on my own server, until I reach the point where I need to expand. Anyways, I can't seem to get passed my network. I have asked friends to help, and they can't see my test site. My IP is ok. I even have no-ip domain for it and when I type it in, it works from my computer. But only on mine. No one else can see it. The address is http://gammon.servehttp.com. I used a plublic proxy and it came up as:500 error connection. The connection to the origin server could not be established or maintained. (6). I run Windows XP and got all firewalls turned off. I have a Linksys Network adapter for my DSL. I can't find anything on it for configure. It is a basic network card. I run off of Verizon. My DSL IP is dynamic but it doesn't change ofton. Does Verizon block the 80 port? I tried others and couldn't get a connection at all. I have the pages in the right location and am experianced in administration, somewhat. Do I need to install the File and Printing for Microsoft Networks? My linksyts card is just a network card. My IP comes up the same wherever I check. IP 4.65.243.231 I'll keep my Abyss online to see if you guys can connect. I'll chack back soon on this post. Hope someone can help. Thanks.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
topniz
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using XP, try to open the web port (look in parameters button while displaying your DSL network config)
BoneDust
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Got my HTTP Web port open. No others though. I dont't have anything checked in ICMP.
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afaik Verizon blocks port 80. Try moving your server port to a random higher number e.g 34567...
BoneDust
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried several different high random ports. Still getting the error. Not sure what's blocking it.
BoneDust
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Here is how I have it set up. I have a Linksys LNE100TX(v5) Fast Ethernet Adapter. My pc is the only one running on the network. I have access network control using IEEE 802 enabled. I have my firewall enabled but the HTTP port 80 is open. Nothing in my ICMP is enabled. On my TCP/IP connection I have Obtain IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server automatically enabled. My IP is dynamic. My DHCP is enabled. I've been using the IP assigned to me, not the DHCP IP. No default gateway listed under IP settings. No DNS or WINS listed either. In my Options Setting, I have TCP/IP Filtering but it is disabled. My NetBIOS setting is on default. That's basically it.
BoneDust
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also don't have a router, unless the Linksys is considered one. I have a Westwood WireSpeed Duel connect modem that is used. It auto configures to my IP, if that's any help. I've tried messing around with it but if I don't have my Auto detect IP on, then my modem can't detect it. Even if I use the IP I have now. I've been reading about port forwarding. Do I need to do this, considering I don't have a router? If so, how can I? Sorry for the damn book i'm writing. It should all be so simple. But i'm getting blocked somewhere down the line. I don't see what it is unless I need a better network adapter and modem. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them. I've been coming home from work each night to check on this. It's fun trying to get it working though. Thanks.
BoneDust
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv'e been reading the baord and I guess that my Linksys may be a router but still, I can't find a configure for it. Only stuff like IRQ and so forth. Also don't see a modem set up even though I have one. No modems show on my devices. And I can't get it to. It auto configures, going through my Linksys. It's prolly Verizon's way of making it so I can't run a server, considering they gave me the modem. I've used other ports as well and still no connection. Anyone with an IQ of 180 or greater out there to help me? And still don't know how to forward my ip from my linksys or even if I need to. Um do I need hardware?
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...

First up, you can ignore the Linksys - it's just a network card, no more no less. No configuration to do there. Linksys also make routers, but yours isn't one.

Are you sure the modem is Westwood not Westell ? The modem will be where you have to set up any port forwarding if you're not using a router. If you connect to the modem via ethernet then it won't be showing up in Windows, it's an independent device like a hub or a switch. You should be able to configure it via a web interface. Manual should give you instructions on how to connect to that...
BoneDust
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a Westell. Sorry bout that. I looked in the documentation to see if I could configure it via interenet. Nothing there. Also went online but can't find the model number.
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manual is here -

http://www.fastaccess.drivers.bellsouth.net/documents/Westell_Guide.pdf

Has a fairly lengthy section on configuring it for things like webservers. Look in the advanced configuration chapter, pg28 I think...

"Invent an idiot proof webserver and they'll invent a better idiot..."
BoneDust
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, nice guide. Better then the one they gave me. I typed in http://launchmodem and didn't get anything. Rebooted and still nothing.
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Launchmodem probably won't work unless you've installed their software, have you tried using the default IP it gives you instead ?

BoneDust
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I tried that as well. Verizon didn't give me any software for the modem. I looked on the cd and only have a daignostics program for it. Went to both Westell and Verizon but couldn't find a software download.
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very odd!

What happens when you do a traceroute to somewhere like google.com ?

Open a command prompt (start->run->cmd in NT4/2K/XP, start->run->command in 95/98/me)

tracert www.google.com

Could you paste the results of that here or to a PM ?

BoneDust
-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what was blocking it but I decided to reformat my drive and start all over. It worked! Thanks for the server! :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: