"Failure to connect to WebServer"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LJRivera
-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: "Failure to connect to WebServer" Reply with quote

I recently moved and have a new ISP. I also use dyndns.org and have had a client that updates my IP every 20 days or so and it all worked fine until I moved. Difference being this...

It appears as though my ISP provided modem is NAT'ing from it's public side to the private side and passing a DHCP assigned private IP to my Linksys router. I originally had my LinkSys router forwarding the ports to my internal systems. In my original configurations, the WAN side of my router would receive a Dynamic public IP address so things worked well. But under the new config, it's my ISP modem that's pushing a DHCP private address to my Link Sys.

To simplify the situation (after being told that my ISP does no port restriction) I removed the linksys. Now it appears (through other websites, tracert'ing, and the modem status utility) that the proper IP address is setup at DYNDNS.org but every time I try to connect to my website, I get a "Failure to connect to webserver" web page.

My url is www.digital-church.com which resolves to my dyndns url which is www.fedcoms.kick-ass.org .

I can't find this particular issue although I did see many other similar issues discussed here. Was wondering if you had any tips for this particular issue. I have changed the server port to 8080 just to see if that owuld work but no dice. It is still configured that way.

Thank you for any help. Even if you suggest putting the linksys back into the mix, I am willing to try anything.
-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: I have an idea Reply with quote

I got an idea to try and force the port forwarding in my situation.
What if I setup my linksys router again but setup a DMZ for the webserver?

I am thinking that the NAT'ing being done on my ISP modem/router could pass the port 80 (or 8080 as it curently is) on toi my router and my router (with the DMZ in place) can IP forward that traffic to and from my computer's internal IP.

The old setup had me NAT'ing from behind a NAT of different networks. Although I was able to get internet and email working fine, as well as IRC, I discovered I had not just lost the ability to web serve but I couldn't serve up much of anything (shoutcast or KDX/FTP stuff).

If anyone has experience configuring a router behind an ISP NAT, please, any tips would be worth trying.

I can't do any port forwarding or config changes on the ISP supplied modem/router but, supposedly, they leave all ports wide open on the thing.

What is a best practice for such a situation?
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "Failure to connect to WebServer" Reply with quote

Hi

I was going to help

But seeing as your a CENSORED server

NO TA...!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
LJRivera
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: I AM NOT A CENSORED SITE Reply with quote

You typed the wrong URL.

www.fedcoms.kicks-ass.com resolves to some kicks ass CENSORED site. That is not me. My site does not work, I am www.fedcoms.kicks-ass.org not .com .

I PM'ed you further details by mistake, but I didn't want others to deny helping me because of your previous post about me being a CENSORED site.

Anyone that can help, please do. (read-previous posts)
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clicked the link and up came 3sexx site

from a personal point of view rather than moral, I hate CENSORED servers, been around the net a few times, you begin to get tired and irratated at it, anything associated with it and why these people persist I dont know, hail the day that these people can be sued. (which may be sooner than they think!)

Anyway, Your issue

your domain may have expired and something that you would have to take up with the vendor.

www.fedcoms.kicks-ass.org resolves to 66.82.9.49

is this correct or am I looking at an ISP proxy address???

if its a proxy address, your not going to get very far.

You need to find your on-line IP address, use the DynDNS updater by Kana soloution, this is about the best Free updater I have found that works well in resolving difficult connects, IM not saying 100% but near as damn it.

in the updater it has a checkip URL, copy it and paste it into any web browser address bar and see the result, then change the address to include the port number 8245, if you see a difference in your IP address, your stuck behind a proxy server, no hardship as your probe using 8245 as the port number will be the true IP address of your machine.

See how you go with that little bit, when we know your true IP address, we can then try to resolve the issues unless its alteady been resolved.

L8rz
LJRivera
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks Senshi, I am still scratching my head trying to figure our my true IP address. My ISP supplies some info. I ran trace routes from work and resolved 2 different IP addresses (www.digital-church.com & www.fedcoms.kicks-ass.org). The digital-church is supposed to point to the fedcoms one and then forward to my IP.

I will need to do this all when I get home this evening and will let you know more about what I find. I think that IP you resolved to is either the WAN side of my modem or router supplied by the ISP.

I can't answer any of your questions until I get home and try to dig some more.

Thanks for your response and I know what you mean about CENSORED sites. That's why I have a page on my site that pokes fun at them. I call it Pron or "Mutated CENSORED", but that's an entirely different issue.
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, this may help you a bit to determin if your PC can be seen from the net.

www.proxyblind.org/javaip.shtml

This will load up the www.proxyblind.org IP check tool, it will tell you Your IP, if known, IP inside your LAN that you used to connect and the Proxy Domain if your in one.

The link to Java IP-II will give your machine local assigned IP address, eg if your on a networked machine, 192.168.1.***

You can even test the security of your machine and browser by running a crash test to see if your PC can be crashed from the net.
LJRivera
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Excellent, I will try this later (8pmEST) when I get home and post my results. I noticed in my ISP provided modem/router, the status page gives the NAT'ed IP Address. This should be the WAN port or public IP. The problem I think I am having is that this Router/Modem is not user configurable and has it's ports wide open. I think I can make it to the WAN port but my server is not getting the http: requests on port 80.

My guess is to try and setup my LinkSys router with a DMZ to my webserver and IP forward port 80 requests to it's private IP.

I dunno. It's a TCP/IP routing issue for sure, just gotta figure it out and obviously without the help of my ISP. They allow me to connect my own personal network and as many computers as I want for no additional charge, but they won't supply tech support for it.

Thanks for your help and suggestions, I will let you know how it goes, then once I get my site up, you'll see, it's not a CENSORED site. :)
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: I hate DirecWay Reply with quote

Here is the final answer to my issues from another forum based on the equipment/service I have...

"if you have the consumer version then you do not have a routable ip address from hughes. You have a natted ip that then gets natted again through the DW6000."
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what they are saying is that your service is on a LAN then a MAN and then a WAN. (a MAN is an American thing, Metropolitan Area Network for those who are wondering.)

But that shouldnt stop you from retrieving your assigned IP address, see what the links I posted turn up, write them down and see what info you have...

L8rz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: