APC Opcode Cache

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turtles
-

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: APC Opcode Cache Reply with quote

I started using the precompiled PHP package but now i can't use Wincache anymore because the precompiled package is thread safe and Wincache only works in non-thread safe mode. So i looked for an alternative and the only one still updated that works with PHP 5.4 is APC.

Now here's my problem. I tried several PHP 5.4 compatible versions of APC and they all do the same thing; they turn every php page on my website into a 503 error.

I enabled error logging on the cgi interpreter and the log displays lots of the following:

Quote:

18/May/2013:22:43:22 -0400 SUID: 9 PUID: 9 RUID: 0 URI: Reading 8 bytes failed = The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
18/May/2013:22:43:22 -0400 SUID: 9 PUID: 9 RUID: 1 URI: /errors/503.php connect() = The system cannot find the file specified.
18/May/2013:22:43:22 -0400 SUID: 9 PUID: 9 process_shutdown_now()
18/May/2013:22:43:22 -0400 SUID: 11 PUID: 11 RUID: 0 URI: Reading 8 bytes failed = The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
18/May/2013:22:43:22 -0400 SUID: 11 PUID: 11 RUID: 1 URI: /errors/503.php connect() = The system cannot find the file specified.
18/May/2013:22:43:22 -0400 SUID: 11 PUID: 11 process_shutdown_now()

How do i fix this? Would it be possible that you make a non-thread safe version of your precompiled PHP package since Wincache the best opcode cacher on windows (outperforms APC by 200 to 300%)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Turtles,

Have you tried manually installing one of the PHP packages from windows.php.net? They provide non-thread safe and thread-safe packages. Also, if you haven't received a reply to your post within the next few days, email Aprelium directly and give them the link so that they may reply to you. They are not always available to answer questions on the forum because this forum is mostly community supported. You can contact them at support@aprelium.com.

Respectfully,

Joshua H. (TRUSTAbyss)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Turtles
-

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what i was using before so i could use Wincache, but i could not get Image Magick working so i asked Aprelium if they could add support for it (the latest version of PHP with Imagick support is because of my request).
aprelium-support
-

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turtles,

So far, the TS (thread safe) version of PHP was our favorite. It supports all types of interfaces ISAPI, CGI/FastCGI.

We could instead switch to the NTS (Non-thread safe) edition. But the drawback is that its ISAPI version won't work on Abyss Web Server (mainly because Abyss Web Server requires thread safety for DLLs.)

Now that some interesting PHP extensions are available in NTS editions only, we will reconsider our choices. So we'll probably move to NTS while sacrificing the ISAPI compatibility (ISAPI PHP doesn't seem to be widely used.)
Turtles
-

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! The opcode cache really super charges page load times. In general it will increase page rendering times 2 to 3 times faster as well as decreasing cpu usage. So using the NTS cgi version with WinCache is actually faster than the TS isapi version.

PHP developers also dropped Isapi support in PHP 5.3 onwards, so unless you plan on developing it yourself; you wont get any help from the PHP developers.

P.S. I dont use isapi php with your PHP build; i use fastcgi php.

P.S.S. If you're looking to super charge PHP even more, you can compile PHP with php-fpm, but it only works when compiled under cygwin in windows. I'm not sure how much the performance hit is with cygwin in windows. You might have to do some benchmark tests.
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I don't see any performance increase with Wincache. Perhaps my configuration is wrong?
http://www.trustabyss.com/phpinfo.php
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Turtles
-

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the amount of files in your website, you may need to increase wincache.filecount.

The main great thing about opcode cachers, since PHP is a compiled language; rather than recompiling the page on every pageview, an opcode cacher caches the compiled version of the page to memory and refreshes it at set periods (usually every 30 minutes to an hour). This renders the page faster while using less CPU.

From a client perspective, page render time will only be 1 to 2 seconds faster. But from a server perspective, much less CPU is used and as a result your website can handle more traffic since there's extra CPU cycles available.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turtles,

We'll release by next week a test package of PHP NTS which includes Wincache. If you are interested in testing it, please contact us by email.
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: