getting abyss up and running

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrludy
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: getting abyss up and running Reply with quote

I am a total novice at servers and websites. I wanted to set up my own server so I could host my own personal website for free. I downloaded Abyss Web Server X1 on a computer running XP Pro. This computer is hooked up to the internet through a Belkin F7D5301 router. Two other home computers (mine and my wife's) share this router as well.
I cannot load pages to the server computer from my home computer. I have recently tried FileZilla, thinking that might help, but I get error messages. I can type in the IP of the server into my home computer, and I get a welcome to Abyss page. That's it. I cannot go anywhere else on the server from there.
I have read the various tutorials about setting up websites, etc., and I can't seem to get anywhere. The one tutorial, that explains how to change XP's internal firewall, did not help. None of the instructions matched what was in my XP (for instance, in the Control Panel, there is no Networking icon...and in the Network area, I never saw anything in any advanced tab labelled Parameters).
All I want to be able to do is build my webpages on my computer, and transfer them to my server computer and then have others be able to access my website. I am a Christian, and I want to be able to share blogs, devotionals, links, etc. All for free. I am not looking to make any money off of any of this, and I will gladly display the Abyss Server banner or icon on my webpage, if I can ever get it launched. I am to the point where I am ready to just quit it all and try something else. Thank you for your help.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium-support
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: getting abyss up and running Reply with quote

Too many problems in a single post. You can't do everything in the same day if you're new to Web serving. You can't also follow any random tutorial on the Internet and expect to learn how to do things right.

Abyss Web Server is installed on your computer so there is no need to FTP files using Filezilla since this software is made to upload files to remote computers when you are renting hosting space.

Since the computer running Abyss Web Server is just in front of you, just drag and drop files inside the htdocs/ subdirectory located inside Abyss Web Server installation directory.

We stronly recommend reading http://www.aprelium.com/data/doc/2/abyssws-win-doc-html/setupsimple.html which pretty much explains the same steps as above.

Regarding making your site accessible to the outside world, this is another issue and depends on your network setup and ISP. General guildelines are available in http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/articles/x1-server-access.html.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: