PERL Script

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ObiwanJebroni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 4:45 pm    Post subject: PERL Script Reply with quote

I'd like to stat out by saying that I'm pretty much a great big amateur who's only been coding and using all these web-related coding for about a week. I need to accomplish some fancy web design for my job, and I'm using Abyss to test out some things before I finally put it on the government server (I work at Army Research Laboratory).

Anyway, I'm having a little trouble getting the PERL to other computers. I'm not sure if its the code, or just that I'm not quite sure how to link it. First of all, I have a file called "dlinfo.pl", which I have placed in the cgi-bin folder. Now, during tests (before it goes online), all I had to do was make the form on my webpage look like this:
<FORM method = "post" action = "c:\abyss\cgi-bin\dlinfo.pl">
However, that only works on the computer that I'm at. How do I make it so that the script will run at any other computer?
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: PERL Script Reply with quote

ObiwanJebroni wrote:

Anyway, I'm having a little trouble getting the PERL to other computers. I'm not sure if its the code, or just that I'm not quite sure how to link it. First of all, I have a file called "dlinfo.pl", which I have placed in the cgi-bin folder. Now, during tests (before it goes online), all I had to do was make the form on my webpage look like this:
<FORM method = "post" action = "c:\abyss\cgi-bin\dlinfo.pl">
However, that only works on the computer that I'm at. How do I make it so that the script will run at any other computer?

Obviously, you are a newbie in HTML coding. But do not worry. Here is why your page didn't work on other computers.
c:\abyss\cgi-bin\dlinfo.pl is a local path. It means that the browser on any machine will work in its C: drive for that file. This is not what you want.
You should replace this by /cgi-bin/dlinfo.pl as this path is relative to the web server root.
As a general rule, when wrting HTML and scripts, forgt about C: and D:... You must start your URLs with / and not with the exact path on your computer.
ObiwanJebroni

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:30 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Ah hah, thank you so much for your reply. I was fooling around with the path yesterday, and I finally realized something. It seems that on the computer where I'm hosting the PERL from, it prompts for me to download the PERL script, and when I opt to open it from the server, it doesn't do anything. Due to this problem, I had not thought of testing it on other computers until pretty late last night, when I realized that my .pl file seemed to be executing fine on other computers :P

Well, thanks for the help! I'll get back to becoming less of a newbie now :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Perl All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: