mysql

View previous topic :: View next topic  
feamsr00
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:55 am    Post subject: mysql Reply with quote

I am very confused about mysql, it does not seem to work 4 me, all I get to is making a db, but it always says it cant connect. Can anyone point me to a walk through or help me themselves?

If anyknows of a msg board that doesnt need mysql that would be great too.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TheLinker
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: mysql Reply with quote

feamsr00 wrote:
I am very confused about mysql, it does not seem to work 4 me, all I get to is making a db, but it always says it cant connect. Can anyone point me to a walk through or help me themselves?

If anyknows of a msg board that doesnt need mysql that would be great too.

phpBB doesn't require MySQL to work...
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
feamsr00
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how? its wont let you continue the instalatoin with out filling out the database part of the form
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TheLinker
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feamsr00 wrote:
how? its wont let you continue the instalatoin with out filling out the database part of the form

In Windows environment phpBB supports both Microsoft SQL Server 7/2000 and Microsoft Access (via ODBC).

You can find more on phpBB features on this link: http://www.phpbb.com/features.php
feamsr00
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok correction, i have NO DBs installed, is there a board that will NOT need a DB?
TheLinker
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:51 pm    Post subject: Windows version ?? Reply with quote

feamsr00 wrote:
ok correction, i have NO DBs installed, is there a board that will NOT need a DB?

What version of Windows do you run ?? ... Both on Windows XP and Windows 2000 (and I guess also for Windows 98/ME) there is an ODBC icon on your control panel... because phpBB supports Access databases through ODBC, you can use the included Access datafile in phpBB. This means that you don't need a database server, only the included files in the phpBB archive.
However, this is not a recommended solution if you expect heavy traffic on your board...
feamsr00
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I THINK I see what you are saying, but how exactly is odbc configured to serve, or is it for phpbb to use whatever ODBC is using?

I run W98SE(4.10.2222) and W2K:AS(5.00.2195)SP1
TheLinker
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feamsr00 wrote:
ok, I THINK I see what you are saying, but how exactly is odbc configured to serve, or is it for phpbb to use whatever ODBC is using?
I run W98SE(4.10.2222) and W2K:AS(5.00.2195)SP1

Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) is an application programming interface (API) for database access. This means that you must have an ODBC driver for whatever database connection you want to use, in this case an Access driver.

If you click on the ODBC icon in your Control Panel, you will open the configuration panel for ODBC. Click the Add... button. Here you will see a list over installed ODBC drivers on your computer, and among them is Microsoft Access Driver.

If you follow the install guide for phpBB, they will guide you through the process of making an successfull ODBC database through the Microsoft Access Driver. The needed Access databasefile is included in the phpBB archive.
feamsr00
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phpBB User's Guide wrote:
Before you install phpBB 2.0, you need to create a Data Source Name. The exact way to do this will depend on your hosting provider; if you are unsure you should check with them before proceeding.

Now if i am my own host, what am i supposed to know???

Last edited by feamsr00 on Wed Jun 26, 2002 3:34 am; edited 2 times in total
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feamsr00 wrote:
[quote=phpBB Users Guide]Before you install phpBB 2.0, you need to create a Data Source Name. The exact way to do this will depend on your hosting provider; if you are unsure you should check with them before proceeding.

Now if i am my own host, what am i supposed to know???[/quote]
You musr run mysql command line and create manually a database. More information about the SQL commands can be found in the MySQL documentation.
TheLinker
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feamsr00 wrote:
phpBB User's Guide wrote:
Before you install phpBB 2.0, you need to create a Data Source Name. The exact way to do this will depend on your hosting provider; if you are unsure you should check with them before proceeding.

Now if i am my own host, what am i supposed to know???

That is correct... and the rest of the install guide, reads:
In general though you should create a System DSN which points to the location where you have stored an unarchived copy of the ms_access_primer.mdb file (this is contained in the ms_access_primer.zip which can be found in db/schemas/). The name you give this DSN will be used during installation.

This step-by-step guide will help you create your ODBC.

1. Open the ODBC config program in your control panel.
2. Click the System DSN tab.
3. Click the Add... button and select Microsoft Access Driver.
4. Write phpBB in Data Source Name: textfield.
5. Click the Select... button and located the included ms_access_primer.mdb access file in the phpBB archive.

During the installation process of phpBB, you must select ODBC Access Database as your database for the forum. In the database hostname field, you enter phpBB.

This should create the need configuration data in the forum, and you should be able to continue the installation process...

Regards... :)
feamsr00
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that. I have been using it for a couple weeks now and it works fine in testing. However when I put it to some use in sept, Im not liking the prospect of only a few users at once. Mysql seems to be working corectly on my system. Im using the 3.23.51-max-nt verision and using MyCC as a nice frontend. From there at least, evertying is in working order. So why is it nothing connects?
gengar56
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a limit on the number of users when using ODBC? What is it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> PHP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: