Hosting on port 80 through a router

View previous topic :: View next topic  
theoscion
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Hosting on port 80 through a router Reply with quote

I can't get it to host on port 80. It will, but won't be accessible outside my home network. any other port will work fine when i setup port forwarding on the router and forward that port to this computer. Any ideas how to get it to work on port 80? I've tried turning off DMZ host, i tried forwarding port 80. Nothing worked.

Any ideas?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
olly86
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some ISP's block the web server port (which is port 80)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
senshi
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hosting on port 80 through a router Reply with quote

theoscion wrote:
I can't get it to host on port 80. It will, but won't be accessible outside my home network. any other port will work fine when i setup port forwarding on the router and forward that port to this computer. Any ideas how to get it to work on port 80? I've tried turning off DMZ host, i tried forwarding port 80. Nothing worked.

Any ideas?

Well looking closer at your statement

if you have port 80 forwarded to the machine that your running your abyss server on, then you will be able to serve up no problems, the issues start when you make conflicting settings in your router.

The DMZ is the DeMilitarised Zone, this forwards everything to that machine at the IP address you have in the configuration settings of your router.

1. How many machines do you have? and does the machine(s) obtain an IP address automatically when started up?

So mrouters will allocate IP addresses sequentially and you may find that you have booted up machines in a different order than you usually start up in and that basically means that your one machine could be recieving all your port 80 requests...

Soloution is to turn of DHCP server in your router and give each machine its own static IP address, 192.168.1.? where ? is your base address, alot of the times it will start at 100 and move up sequentially or start at 254 and work backwards, you will have to consult you router manual on that issue.

When you fire up your machines, they will automatically set the IP address of the machine and begin to listen. Check if this is possible with your router as different manufacturers will implement different methods of achieving the same result.

it is odd that an ISP will block port 80 as this is the main http port that web browsers use to access websites, I would double check your router has http enabled in the settings, could be uPnP settings that you need to change and also you need to be sure that the HTTP is routed to your machine that hosts the server.

L8rz
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well looking closer at your statement

if you have port 80 forwarded to the machine that your running your abyss server on, then you will be able to serve up no problems, the issues start when you make conflicting settings in your router.

The DMZ is the DeMilitarised Zone, this forwards everything to that machine at the IP address you have in the configuration settings of your router.

I suggest not using any DMZ for any server.
Using Port Forwarding [Linksys] / Vertual Server [DLink] are better option.

Quote:
So mrouters will allocate IP addresses sequentially and you may find that you have booted up machines in a different order than you usually start up in and that basically means that your one machine could be recieving all your port 80 requests...

I am not sure what this mean from above statement. But when any PC boot-up, the router w/DHCP enable will assign one of those IP [IP preset-range] for that PC that request an IP from a DHCP Server [Router]. With IP that assigned for this PC today may or may not have the same IP when next time when it boot-up to request IP from the router DHCP.

If you set your Abyss box to DMZ, this box will be bombard with all PORT, not just PORT 80 but all PORTs.

Quote:
Soloution is to turn of DHCP server in your router and give each machine its own static IP address, 192.168.1.? where ? is your base address, alot of the times it will start at 100 and move up sequentially or start at 254 and work backwards, you will have to consult you router manual on that issue.

You do not need to turn off your DHCP to make your Abyss box to get static IP. Check the preset range. If it set from starting 100 to 253, then you can either narrow down the IP to like 100 to 120 or whatever you like. From 100 to 120 range, it will assign those IP to any PC that request it. So, you have set your range like 100 to 120 and you want your Abyss to be static, the you can tell your Abbyss or set to non-range IP like 99 or 121 but not between 100 to 120.

You simple un-radio "Obtain an IP address automatically" and select "Use the following IP address". Enter the non-range IP / subnet / gateway / DNS.

Most router I see normally go from low to high. I have not seen one from high to low. It possible but not IME so far.

Quote:
it is odd that an ISP will block port 80 as this is the main http port that web browsers use to access websites, I would double check your router has http enabled in the settings, could be uPnP settings that you need to change and also you need to be sure that the HTTP is routed to your machine that hosts the server.

When ISP block port 80 then use other port like 8080 or 1234. From the router, set port forwarding to 8080 or 1234 where Abyss is listen to. The only bad part about this is the the remote does not know unless you specify the port like ie > www.mywebpage.com:8080 or 1234 <. If you do not like this, then you can mask or redirect by using a domain name. Or use a script to high that ugly port.
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: how? Reply with quote

Quote:
Or use a script to high that ugly port.

I'm using a MASK my self...but lets say a user wants to use a title of each page...the MASK will not help you in this!

Is there a script or a way to view each page's title while hiding the port?
-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm using a MASK my self...but lets say a user wants to use a title of each page...the MASK will not help you in this!

Is there a script or a way to view each page's title while hiding the port?

I am not aware of any script that will hide your PORT from URL of a client browser. The only method I know are the following [off-my-head]:
1. Use Domain Name
- To Mask or IFrame to hide your IP and or PORT.
2. Disable right-click from a link
- See below
3. Hide status bar.
- See Below

Code:
<script language=JavaScript>
<!--

//Disable right mouse click Script

var message="Function Disabled!";

///////////////////////////////////
function clickIE4(){
if (event.button==2){
alert(message);
return false;
}
}

function clickNS4(e){
if (document.layers||document.getElementById&&!document.all){
if (e.which==2||e.which==3){
alert(message);
return false;
}
}
}

if (document.layers){
document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
document.onmousedown=clickNS4;
}
else if (document.all&&!document.getElementById){
document.onmousedown=clickIE4;
}

document.oncontextmenu=new Function("alert(message);return false")

// -->
</script>

Code:

<script>

function hidestatus(){
window.status=''
return true
}

if (document.layers)
document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEOVER | Event.MOUSEOUT)

document.onmouseover=hidestatus
document.onmouseout=hidestatus
</script>

Those above steps are the simple way I can think of at this time. Unless you have some alternative?
-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@cap ::
My point being that anyone stating that port 80 is not accessable beyond their network (eg behind a router or switch) has obviously not set up forwarding, yes DMZ is not recomended and you jumped the gun a bit by not understanding my referal to it, I only suggest DMZ in extreme cases and then with a firewall, a DMZ is meant to be a way of making one machine visible and easily connected to a network that has connection problems, it is also useful for running a honeypot, so it does have its uses.

@theoscion ::
If your so sure that your ISP is blocking you, how can you tell? are you giving out the correct machine IP? You will have several IP addresses...

Localhost or 127.0.0.1 is what the local server listens on, 127.0.0.1 is your machines IP address that any services, server listens on or connects through.

LAN address is the IP address that is assigned to your machine by the router, namely they are 192.168.1.*** on class 'C' networks like the home routers. This address is what you point the port 80 to,

ISP assigned IP, this is what your machine is contacted by, your ISP will assign you an IP address when you log on (Dynamic & Dialup) or in cable modem users cases this will be static, in my case it is static but not the proxy address IM parked behind (courtesy of my ISP).

So you need to firstly quote the right address, the one being assigned to you...

It would be far simpler to set up a DNS account with DynDNS and use the updater tool by Kana Soloution and let that detect your IP address, then all you need to do is to give that address from DynDNS to your friends and see if your machine serves up...

If it dont, double check your config in the router, this is where all problems are rectified, the number of times people say they have set up their router but have no clue is staggering... You need to make sure that you 'Apply' any settings before you move pages, you need to be sure that your routing the port to the correct machine.

So double check everything, serving up is possible my ISP pulls all sorts of stunts to stop us from serving up, but I manage to run a web server and pop services and ftp and a few other things, hell IM a 1 man ISP dont you know!

I should have asked earlier, what ISP are your with??? eg www.???.com
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

senshi -
I believe he already know that PORT 80 is block for sure. According to his post :
Quote:

From above quote, he did set up PORT 80 but will not gain access through port 80 eventhough PORT forwarding is set correctly from the router. Other port except PORT 80 is fine.

I only recommendation / suggestion at this point is not to use PORT 80 but other port he tried that work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: