XP's port forwarding failed me - are there replacements?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lawrence
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: XP's port forwarding failed me - are there replacements? Reply with quote

So the other day XP's port fowarding just up and failed me, I don't know why, and if it wasn't my father cruising the site at the time I'd likely never have noticed. It just stopped mid-session, and nothing I can do will make it work again. It's been working flawlessly for me for months and months, and suddenly nothing.

I'm not running a firewall at the moment because it caused complete havoc for the rest of the network. I'm sharing one connection and forwarding port 80 to the webserver. I'm currently using analogx to forward the port and while it works very well (though I seem to be getting more collisions than I remember) it's changing all the requests to 192.168.0.1 - this is totally useless, not least because my stats filter these requests so I don't get my own accesses counted.

It's been making me insane now for weeks. I've reinstalled the network card, torn out and replaced all the protocols, and even gone so far as to reinstall windows. The only thing I've learned is that Windows' networking is, as most of us know, entirely random. It's like voodoo, even when it works no one knows why and we should all be scared to mess with it, lest it fail us. =)

Can anyone recommend a replacement port forwarder that works? It need only forward port 80 to a machine of my choosing without mangling the requesting IP.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Moxxnixx
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try resetting your router?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lawrence
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had a router why would I be using XP's port fowarding?

Long story short: XP's worked as a router and connection sharer for over a year. Suddenly it just stopped doing the job.

I'm now running coyote linux on a separate system which does the trick. I recommend it - except for the horrible documentation.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: