I keep getting these emails...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anybody
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: I keep getting these emails... Reply with quote

I keep getting these emails from the forums here saying there is a new post on a thread I'm watching and there isn't any new posts.

Ether the forums here are heavily moderated or the posts need to be approved by a admin/moderator before others can view the post. In ether case it is driving me nuts 'cause there isn't any new posts when I get these emails.

On a side note. There use to be allot of sites I visited almost every day to read and post on their forums and I stopped going to these sites 'cause I grew sick and tired of the tyrant behavior of the admins and moderators for deleting and locking threads.

Aprelium's forums is the only forums I go to and post on anymore and that is hardly ever.

The whole reason why I stopped visiting forums on websites is because you can't speak your mind and you can't be your self.

Quote:
Hello,

You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, "Blank page, forever "loading"" at Aprelium. This topic has received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=282241#282241

If you no longer wish to watch this topic you can either click the "Stop watching this topic link" found at the bottom of the topic above, or by clicking the following link:

http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=210961&unwatch=topic

-- The Forum Administrator
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Axis
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Anybody--

You are receiving those email because someone posted in a thread you are watching and then an admin or moderators determined it was spam and deleted it.

Since I visit the forums here everyday I disabled receive email notification in my user preferences and then, slowly over days, had to edit the posts I had made in threads and disable the ones I had marked to notify when a reply is posted.

It took a few days before that all stopped.

Regards,
Axis
anybody
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't understand.

I want to be notified when someone posts a replay to a thread I'm watching.

There is another solution to the problem. Upgrade the forums
Axis
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello anybody--

Not to be argumentative, but you can upgrade to the end of time but it will not stop the army of bb spammers. I simply explained to you that you get those emails automatically when someone posts in a thread you are watching and is later deleted as spam (therefore you get the message) but by the time you look the spam is gone.

Regards,
Axis
anybody
-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I did say there is another solution to the problem.

Upgrade the forums so spam bots can't create new accounts to post on the forums with.

The version of phpBB being used is pretty damn old school.
Axis
-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody--

The reason Apreliums bb is "old school" is because it has been so extensively hacked by Aprelium to try and control spam that they can no longer do an upgrade easily, at least that is my understanding.

That being said, there is no BB in existence that I know...at least free ones, that are not vulnerable to spam. The reason for this is that there is a trained army of low-payed world-wide BB spammer "real people", not bots, that will make the initial registrations. After that, bots come in. So we are not dealing with just bots but real people, and has often occurred, the spam for SEO is often in the signatures. I run 6 or 7 BB's and in every case I have had to resort to some kind of control beyond what is supplied by the software itself.

Anyway, I give credit for those people who watch and guard these forums (thank you Aprelium Forum people and "guardians") even though there are messages that get posted that are deleted and end up bothering you, anybody.

But enough said, I don't want to argue with you further, just let you know what is going on to the best of my knowledge.
anybody
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your not telling me anything I don't already know and I still stand on what I said earlier. Upgrade the forums.

Please do me a favor and look at when I signed up on these forums. My paid subscription of abyss x2 expires in 2014 and when it does I have every intention to renew it.

My point...

There is no need to defend Aprelium or abyss from me.
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modding code makes upgrading more difficult.

They should work on pruning bad users out of the database. Many people choose not to because a higher user count looks better.

One thing they should consider is making the footer have nofollow links. That dissuades people quite a bit.

Finally, if X users sign up in Y timeframe, those users should have their posts subject to moderation before posting (and notifying).

Source:
Wrote my own forum package not subject to spamming.
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

god, you are being really rude.

you act like people in aprelium are really newb that they can't handle things properly, not even to upgrade their forum.

why don't you just write your own web server and have your own forum there. see if you can really handle thing there.
aprelium-support
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Updates to the forum BB code Reply with quote

Are you still receiving these messages?

Actually we have performed a new round of mini-code-updates to the forum to fight the new forms of spam and to detect the new behavior of spammers (dormant accounts which post from time to time legit questions copied from very old posts.)

We are receiving a tremendous amount of spam and posts. For example, we had around 1400 new registrations yesterday. All of these 1400 accounts were created by humans (javascript checks + recaptcha.) Out of these, 1000 validated their emails and 60 posted a message that is not considered as spam. Only a single message was found valid by the moderators.

Moving to another forum is not a solution. We have already extensively hacked PhpBB and changed the front-end to fight the kind of spam we receive.
Lawrence
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it has been discussed at Aprelium, but for my forums I utilize Stop Forum Spam. It catches the vast majority of my spamming new accounts before they ever get a chance to post.

Also, while I wish I didn't have to, I block China and Russia IPs, and ask for a 'reason for joining' entry during registration.

Spam has virtually halted with these measures, but it's the first one that does all the work.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
aprelium-support
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrence wrote:
I don't know if it has been discussed at Aprelium, but for my forums I utilize Stop Forum Spam. It catches the vast majority of my spamming new accounts before they ever get a chance to post.

Thank you for suggesting this spammer database. We were not aware of it.

It is also great to see that they have an API for online checks. We'll definitely add it to our profile scoring procedure.
andie77
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is just a notification message when someone replied to the post you're reading. Its natural in forum to send their member notification message on the post your reading/following.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
paulknife
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrence wrote:

Hey, thank you for that! I had no idea that something like that exist.
Thank you again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: