can't get access from outside my network (please read)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ngentile
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: can't get access from outside my network (please read) Reply with quote

I'm pretty new at this, i am posting this to see if anyone can help me. Here we go IN DETAIL. I have a belkin router which is connected to a four port switch. I have the dhcp server running on the router to dynamically configure the IP addresses on the network. All computers on the network have internet access (obviously). When i type in the IP of my site from any one of the comps INSIDE the network everything works fine. When i try to get it outside the network it can't be reached. Port 80 is not blocked by my isp. the port is being forwarded to the comp with the server. I have included the router part number so maybe someone with the same router can help me. The belkin router # is: f5d6231-4. I hope somebody can help me~thanx for looking
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: can't get access from outside my network (please read) Reply with quote

ngentile wrote:
I'm pretty new at this, i am posting this to see if anyone can help me. Here we go IN DETAIL. I have a belkin router which is connected to a four port switch. I have the dhcp server running on the router to dynamically configure the IP addresses on the network. All computers on the network have internet access (obviously). When i type in the IP of my site from any one of the comps INSIDE the network everything works fine. When i try to get it outside the network it can't be reached. Port 80 is not blocked by my isp. the port is being forwarded to the comp with the server. I have included the router part number so maybe someone with the same router can help me. The belkin router # is: f5d6231-4. I hope somebody can help me~thanx for looking

Ok, you have DHCP set and your LAN now is set to Dynamic IP but how about your public IP? Is that a static or dynamic IP?

BTW, have you read this thread > http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1718 < and this site regarding this belkin > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.buchanan/index.html?routers-belkin-4port.html <?
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: dhcp and lan Reply with quote

I'm going to assume that by public IP you mean my WAN IP. This is set to dynamic. I don't think i can change that because that was the address given by my ISP. I'm having trouble setting my server up with that static address. Do i just use the WAN and gateway addresses that are on my router configuration page? thanks! BTW i have been to both of those pages. One if for a linksys router and the other is for a belkin router setup for winmx server. As far as those sites go i have already been through those steps.
ngentile
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Got it fixed!!! Reply with quote

I finally figured out you gotta call tech support to get any help from belkin. After dealing with them for half an hour i got it to work. Here was the solution. The main reason i couldn't get the site was because i was using the DHCP servers dynamicaly configured address. The problem was that the address was only good for inside my network. I didn't know that i needed to type in the WAN IP and forward that to the DYNAMIC IP of the server. So you can have a dynamic address for the server!! And since the lease time of the IP is set to forever in the router config that IP will never change. Thanks for your help!
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you got it to work , how about letting us all c your site lol. :D
-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Got it fixed!!! Reply with quote

ngentile wrote:
I finally figured out you gotta call tech support to get any help from belkin. After dealing with them for half an hour i got it to work. Here was the solution. The main reason i couldn't get the site was because i was using the DHCP servers dynamicaly configured address. The problem was that the address was only good for inside my network. I didn't know that i needed to type in the WAN IP and forward that to the DYNAMIC IP of the server. So you can have a dynamic address for the server!! And since the lease time of the IP is set to forever in the router config that IP will never change. Thanks for your help!

Humm..... I thought I similiar mention that. Oh well.... As long it work. The end result is the same.

Just a note (just incase for any lurker):
WAN IP is your Public IP that is assign or given by your ISP. It come in either static or dynamic.
Static = IP stay the same until you or your ISP terminator your account.
Dynamic = moble / change / cycle - will not stay the same.

DHCP server from your Router will auto assign an internal IP for your LAN side. DHCP will be change. So the next reboot of your PC may get assign to a different IP but if you have just a couple PC, then you may not see different IP that often.

IP (static or dynamic) > Router > LAN IP > PC1 / PC2 / PC3 etc.... by DHCP assign IP from router DHCP server built-in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: