CGI works at command prompt, errors when ran from website

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawno66
-

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: CGI works at command prompt, errors when ran from website Reply with quote

I have a CGI (EXE file) that creates an XLS spreadsheet using COM. When I run it directly from the CGI folder, it works. When I call it from the web interface, my program gives the error:
"Excel could not open a new workbook. Please check that VBA is installed."
Again, it works from a command prompt so I'm assuming that VBA was installed properly with Office.

The Abyss CGI log file says "Broken Pipe".

I should also note that my program is able to open Excel (the first step), but cannot open a workbook (2nd step).

Lastly, this program is called (shelled out) from another program; e.g.: program1.exe does some stuff and calls program2.exe.

Running on Server 2008 R2.
Office 2003

any suggestions?
thanks
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CGI works at command prompt, errors when ran from websit Reply with quote

shawno66,

Are you running Abyss Web Server as a user program or rather as a service? Chances are that in service mode, Excel can't initialize its COM machinery to access VBA and other modules that require the graphical user interface.
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
shawno66
-

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to know. I'm not using any of the graphical components but I think just loading the COM library probably has the same result.

I'll need to go about this another way.
Thanks
aprelium-support
-

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawno66,

COM uses the GUI even if it is used for automation without showing anything on the screen. So running Abyss Web Server as a user program is the only way to go if you have CGI programs that use COM.

We suggest reading http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257757 which is the official position of Microsoft on using automation of desktop applications in a server environment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> FastCGI/CGI All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: