How much traffic can my servers handle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
svankamon
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: How much traffic can my servers handle Reply with quote

Heres my setup briefly:

4x compaq presarios, each with 2.2 processor, 1 gig ram and internal and external 160gb hard drives. (NOTE: external HD is for videos, images and other user files etc.

All 4 run a MySQL database.
All 4 run a simple DNS server.
All 4 run PHP scripts

Server 1 also runs Flash Media Server 3. This is the Abyss X2 machine running 120 plus domains. (Windows Vista Home Premium)

Server 2 runs Hosting Controller 7 (hostingcontroller.com).
This is the main hosting server. Windows server 2003)

Server 3 runs dolphin community and RMS, ray media server. (xp PRO)

Server 4 runs a few html sites and a couple of php scripts. (xp PRO)

How much traffic will this setup handle.

Many thanks, for more info please contact me.

My broadband conection is a BT business Option 2 Unlimited bandwidth.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Lawrence
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running a server with only a handful of domains, MySQL and PHP, I survived several slashdottings without anything even slowing down. 8GB of transfers in a couple of hours, with no reported problems.

The key is your bandwidth, not the server. I had 100mbit fibre with an old 486 running firewall/NAT (BrazilFW). I doubt my current off-the-shelf Buffalo router would cope as nicely, it freaks out with too many torrent connections. =)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
svankamon
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would the only real solution be to replace the line itself. ie install T3? or T1. Or completely defeat the objective and get hosting?

Many thanks.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you have the money (or if you make enough money to support it) you could buy managed servers, they setup the lines, handle the servers themselves and everything like that, you can configure them in most cases. All you have to do is logon and install everything then your ready to go. This is expensive BTW, some managed servers can be 200 or more each month depending on the details of the server and lines ETC, but if you go the budget and the traffic then why not give it a try? Some companies also allow you to get your money back. As for the T1 line, its all up to whats available, and how well you trust your equipment. if you are getting millions of hits, and are running home/small business equipment you might have the router overload, so you may need to check your equipment out and or replace it.

Cheers,
Howard
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
offindyunus
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: How much traffic can my servers handle Reply with quote

Is there any other limit for the free hosting service w/ 11 activation,
like size of file, number of files can be stored in the webspace?
Thank you for the reply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: