no-ip.com and my server

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zexvew
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: no-ip.com and my server Reply with quote

i got abyss server on my computer and i made an account with no-ip.com and when i go to zexvew.no-ip.com nothing comes up on my site. would my router have anything to do with it? or any other things?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: no-ip.com and my server Reply with quote

zexvew wrote:
i got abyss server on my computer and i made an account with no-ip.com and when i go to zexvew.no-ip.com nothing comes up on my site. would my router have anything to do with it? or any other things?

Have you test if Abyss can serve the page? Try using another PC in your LAN and see if it can first. If it can, then check your current IP (public IP) and see if it will connect to your Abyss. If it still can, then it "No-IP" may be the problem. From other user that use "No-IP" service, it may take about 5min interval to update your current IP or whatever the preset time.
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there another web thing that will do that like no-ip does it? i got the server up and everything. what ip should i connect to from another computer on the network, my ip or the 127.0.0.1 or whtever that one is that abyss gives to you.
zexvew
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you guys use to get to your site outside of your own network?
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zexvew wrote:
is there another web thing that will do that like no-ip does it? i got the server up and everything. what ip should i connect to from another computer on the network, my ip or the 127.0.0.1 or whtever that one is that abyss gives to you.

127.0.0.1 is the PC internal address. Find the LAN IP which is your private IP in your network at home. If you using WinXP/NT/2k try > IPCONFIG /ALL < in the WinDOS windows. Look for line indicate IP. That will be the LAN IP of your Abyss PC that is current on. Goto another PC in your LAN and enter that URL in the browser and see if it serve you any webpage.

LAN IP should look something similar to this > 192.168.1.100 < It should start with 192.168.xxx.xxx. Internal IP will have the following > 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 and or this localhost.
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zexvew wrote:
what do you guys use to get to your site outside of your own network?

I am not sure what you mean. I assume you are talking about how to get or find the host from the outside? If this is what you meant, the public IP of your ISP provide or assign to you. It can be a static or dynamic IP.

You can find your current public IP you are currently on > http://www.aprelium.com/ip/ <

Static IP = stay perminent with you and will not change.
Dynamic IP = will constantly change or get cycle to another IP (mobile).
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i mean like, just say that i want to get to my site from my friends house. what would i use or do to do that?
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zexvew wrote:
i mean like, just say that i want to get to my site from my friends house. what would i use or do to do that?

Can you find out what type IP do you have? Static or Dynamic? Have you check this link (courtesy of Aprelium) > http://www.aprelium.com/ip/ <?

Please answer my previous post. If you can provide the previous information, the current message will automatic be answered.

In summary:
What type of IP do you have that was assign to you from your ISP? Static or Dynamic =
Have you check this link > http://www.aprelium.com/ip/ < (provided by Aprelium)?

If you have "Dynamic IP" you will need to immediately provide that IP to your friend to login to your Webserver.

While you are on the PC where your Abyss is on, click on the link above. Next at that very moment, provide that IP to your buddy to enter his URL browser.

If you have "Static IP" you can take your time in give your IP to your friend.

BTW, do you have anything like a router / gateway or anything that can prevent user from requesting request to your Abyss?
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you do the following:

First is to check if Abyss can serve locally - then your LAN - Next the public.

Try using your browser from where your abyss is install and enter 127.0.0.1 or localhost and see if it will show the webpage.

Next you will need your another PC to check if wil do the same. But first find out what your LAN IP that Abyss PC is currently on. It should start with similar to this 198.168.xxx.xxx. Enter that IP to from your other PC URL Browser. The other way to detect your Abyss PC from a different PC is to use this command in Windows DOS > PING < Type PING "computer name" without those quote. For example - ping pc1 and it will show you the IP of that PC1 LAN IP.

If sucessfull ...

Then try aprelium link to detect the public IP and see if that will do the same.
-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i do have a router, its a netgear.

2nd, my ip address to the router is a static ip but the lan ip or the one to my pc is dynamic. it changes when i reboot the router.

3rd, i can access my page on my computer, i also can access it on my other pc on the network, but when i click a link i have on the page it comes up with a error and does not open the link.

also, im not really clear on how to get to my page at my buddys pc. if you could explain capfusion as you said:

"If you have "Dynamic IP" you will need to immediately provide that IP to your friend to login to your Webserver.

While you are on the PC where your Abyss is on, click on the link above. Next at that very moment, provide that IP to your buddy to enter his URL browser.

If you have "Static IP" you can take your time in give your IP to your friend."

if you could explain that a little it would be great. thanx
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"If you have "Dynamic IP" you will need to immediately provide that IP to your friend to login to your Webserver. While you are on the PC where your Abyss is on, click on the link above. Next at that very moment, provide that IP to your buddy to enter his URL browser.

Dynamic IP = Mobile or cycling IP
This type of IP will keep on changing to a different IP. For ie... if you have 123.456.789.012 now, maybe later about an hour to so, it will be something else ie ... 987.654.321.012 so that the reason it indicate "Immediately". I can change at next reboot or connection or you may have it for a week or so time. Who know? Do you know?

Quote:
If you have "Static IP" you can take your time in give your IP to your friend."

With this type IP, it stay with you until you nolonger have that account from your ISP. ISP assign it to you forever until otherwise notice either by you or from them.

Quote:
ok, i do have a router, its a netgear.

2nd, my ip address to the router is a static ip but the lan ip or the one to my pc is dynamic. it changes when i reboot the router.

First regarding about your router. You will need to LAN and PORT forward or redirect to your Abyss PC. Otherwise it will not go through and drop request at the router. Since I do not have current Netgear, I do not have the general idea. But I do own a very old Netgear before which have filtering. You need to configure and set to listen to PORT 80 (default from Abyss) and LAN IP. Or you can try putting your Abyss on DMZ (not recommended). And see if Abyss get the request.

Quote:
3rd, i can access my page on my computer, i also can access it on my other pc on the network, but when i click a link i have on the page it comes up with a error and does not open the link.

If you can figure out the previous problem, you can try to connect from the outside LAN. According to your internal LAN, it seem to work but your Router is causing the problem from outside to inside.

Is this a little bit clearer for you, now?

Again, your main concern at this time is your router that need to configure or set to forward or redirect the incoming request to your Abyss LAN IP and PORT.
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that helps out better, thanx ill let you know how it goes. thanx again for your help
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zexvew wrote:
yeah that helps out better, thanx ill let you know how it goes. thanx again for your help

Hopefully that is the cause of the problem.
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say NETGEAR router, able to provide a model number?

Reason I'm asking, some have NAT (Network Address Translation). Mine does.
This usually means that from your side of the router, you can only view the site by using the internal and lan ip, but others outside of your network can still view it from the wan ip.

Quick example from experience.
    I have registered my wan ip at no-ip.com
    I run 2 computers behind a NETGEAR DG814.
    The router is running NAT, and its lan ip is 192.168.0.1
    The computer running abyss (refer to as comp2) has a lan ip of 192.168.0.3, my other (refer to as comp1) is 192.168.0.2
    Port 80 has been forwarded to comp2.
    To view my site using comp1 I would type 192.168.0.3 (or its network name) into the address bar.
    To view the site using comp2 I would type 127.0.0.1 or localhost (etc) into the address bar.
    I cannot view the site from comp1 or comp2 if I use my wan ip, or no-ip addy.
    However, my friend who is outside of my lan CAN still access it using my wan ip or no-ip addy.
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This usually means that from your side of the router, you can only view the site by using the internal and lan ip, but others outside of your network can still view it from the wan ip.

To view internally, you have to enter your LAN IP of where your Abyss is sitting on. If it on 192.168.0.1 then you will need to enter the URL of your browser to 192.168.0.3. From outside, you will need to enter the public IP.

Quote:
To view my site using comp1 I would type 192.168.0.3 (or its network name) into the address bar.
To view the site using comp2 I would type 127.0.0.1 or localhost (etc) into the address bar.
I cannot view the site from comp1 or comp2 if I use my wan ip, or no-ip addy.
However, my friend who is outside of my lan CAN still access it using my wan ip or no-ip addy.

If you trying to view from the same PC where Abyss is sitting, then of course 127.0.0.1 is IP of itself.

There are different level IP.
Public IP
LAN IP
Machine IP
and so forth.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: