new to this

View previous topic :: View next topic  
switchblade
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: new to this Reply with quote

hi alll i am new to this can anyone help me please?? i have a LAN with 3 computers on it and one of them i was going to use a my web server. i have a web site with gocites.com (www.switchblade.tk) but i want to run it from my pc. can any one tell me what to do next? and can i have uploads & downloads from my pc setup ?? :lol:
Thanks
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: new to this Reply with quote

switchblade wrote:
hi alll i am new to this can anyone help me please?? i have a LAN with 3 computers on it and one of them i was going to use a my web server. i have a web site with gocites.com (www.switchblade.tk) but i want to run it from my pc. can any one tell me what to do next? and can i have uploads & downloads from my pc setup ?? :lol:
Thanks

You can use your own PC to setup a webhost. Have you read the instruction on how to setup? It should be pretty straight forward compare to other wehserver?

What type of connection connection do you have? DSL/Dial-Up/Satelite/ISDN/Cable? Do you have Static IP or Dynamic IP? What type or kind of network do you have setup at home? Do you have a Router / Gateway? Do you also have anything that resemble network filter? Do your ISP allow you to host any type of server on your residential account?
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: hi and thanks for geting back to me Reply with quote

for the first ? i have cable modem 1mb connection, going to my pc IE the main pc and i have internet connection shering on for all the rest of the pc going through a hub not a router i can't get it to work on a router thats y i went back to useing a hub. and i think its a static IP but my pc is on 24/7
and i dont know if my ip server IE (ntlworld) will let me host a server
network filter? i dont think so but i am runing windows XP with a firewall so i have to turn that of sometimes.

but the computer i was going to have my web on is not the main one it was going to be one of the ones i have on my network it has a 60g hard drive on

and im sorry m8 but im not all that good at reading and there is a lot to read :(
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: hi and thanks for geting back to me Reply with quote

switchblade wrote:
for the first ? i have cable modem 1mb connection, going to my pc IE the main pc and i have internet connection shering on for all the rest of the pc going through a hub not a router i can't get it to work on a router thats y i went back to useing a hub. and i think its a static IP but my pc is on 24/7
and i dont know if my ip server IE (ntlworld) will let me host a server
network filter? i dont think so but i am runing windows XP with a firewall so i have to turn that of sometimes.

but the computer i was going to have my web on is not the main one it was going to be one of the ones i have on my network it has a 60g hard drive on

and im sorry m8 but im not all that good at reading and there is a lot to read :(

You have alot of unknown variable and unsure of what you have.

Again, find out from your ISP if you are allow to host a webserver or any hosting on your end. Next, if you are jusing WinXP to share all your internet connection, make sure your XP firewall is disable so there will be incoming request but at the same time will cause your LAN network that are connect to this WinXP will be volunerable or open to the public. This part is up to your descretion.

Please check above and see if you are able to. Otherwise, you may not able to host a webserver or any server safely without being attack by the outside due to your ISP and your home network setup.

Also if you are planing on "Firewall" (software), you will need to fully understand how it work. And again, it will be hard to guide you through the network setup and firewall configuration just to have outside request to your internal network to response back.

Note:
Software Firewall normally allow outgoing but as for incoming (inbound), they normally get deny. So if you can connect to the website normally, it does not mean your PC can listen to response for request. You will need to fully understand your firewall setup and it configuration.
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: cap Fusion Reply with quote

i have just been told that i can host a website by my ISP but its down to me to stop hackers ext
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: cap Fusion Reply with quote

switchblade wrote:
i have just been told that i can host a website by my ISP but its down to me to stop hackers ext

Ok, so what have you done do far and what problem are you facing? Please start somewhere. Have you setup Abyss on one of your three PC yet?

After you have set / install Abyss, can you access it console? If you can, try putting in a HTML page in HTDOCS folder. Enter your the localhost from your client webbroswer and see if it show your pages. If it does, try using another PC to verify if any other PC can connect and request that same page by entering the LAN IP of where Abyss is sitting on. If that work also, then goto check what IP you current on by courtesy of Aprelium IP detection link - http://www.aprelium.com/ip/ . With the other PC, enter the IP that detect by Aprelium and see if you still can get that page.

Next, depending on the type of IP you using (Dynamic or Static IP), you will need to direct your Domain register to your IP.

If you have a "Dynamic IP", you will need to have a DNS service like "No-IP.com" which will update your Dynamic IP to the current IP you are using. But if you have a "Static IP, then you do not need that DNS service but just direct your Domain Register to your Static IP that your ISP assign to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: