help me plz

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faskylineq
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: help me plz Reply with quote

i have a cable modem and i have a server up and running but i want to have my friends download off of me. once they begin the download they say that they can only get up to 20kb/s. they also have cable, and we dont live that far from each other, and have the same cable provider, y is it that he can only get a max of 20kb/s when he should be getting like 70 - 100 kb/s?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
tdkyo
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because your upload speed (Speed that the files go from your computer to the internet) is capped at 20kbs. It doesn't matter if he had the fastest connection in the world. The max speed from you to him is still 20kbs.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
faskylineq
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot
faskylineq
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more question... is it just that the abyss server can only upload files off ur computer at 20kb/s or is that all u can upload period, cause i just tested my upload speed and it was 146kb/s
tdkyo
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you said 148kb/s do you mean "148 kigabits per second"? Because you want kigabytes per second it's 148/8 which is "18.5 kigabytes per second".(Which is darn close to 20kBs)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faskylineq, it your ISP is capping your UL. Check what your ISP is providing. For example for me, my ISP service is 1.5M/768K DSL which in turn will be like 170K average for DL and 70 - 80K UL. So my cap is at average at 70K or so. Taking my example, you get the general idea. Normally a cable user should have alot faster DL when compare to DSL user. Cable cap normally about 128K or 386K UL depending on which ISP you have and how generous they are. Cable line normally share by your community as a bandwidth. When all the people from your community start surfing, you have find yourself have pretty slow connection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: