Do I need this rewrite for Abyss?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anybody
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Do I need this rewrite for Abyss? Reply with quote

Code:
# Fix Apache internal dummy connections from breaking [(site_url)] cache
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^.*internal\ dummy\ connection.*$ [NC]
RewriteRule .* - [F,L]

I'm wanting to know if I need this rewrite for my site?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. Its Apache specific.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anybody
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, someone actually replied to my thread? :)

I do realize that it is apache specific and I assumed that no one responded to my post, not even aprelium, that I didn't need it. What I was wanting to know is if abyss had this feature about using dummy/internal connections. I also do know that assumption is the mother of all *&@!#$ and I'd rather get a response from someone who knows for sure over finding out the hard way that my assumption is wrong.

I do believe that it is safe to assume that you are right. Thank you.
aprelium-support
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody,

Without having more details about the context of that URL rewrite rule, we cannot provide too much insight.

Anyway, the comment on the rule clearly states that it is meant to fix a bug or misbehavior that affects Apache and seems to be specific to the way it handles requests. Since Abyss Web Server is not based on Apache, it does not share its "bugs" and any Apache specific workaround does not necessarily have equivalents on our software.
anybody
-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is something I found in a htaccess file for MODx. TRUSTAbyss' AWS:MRT ignored it during the translation so I assume it was safe to ignore.

I don't have much more details on it. I do know that MODx is capable of changing templates between pages which might break whatever cache your browser may have from your site. This was obviously a problem MODx had and the rewrite was probably their fix for it. And this is a guess about the rewrite rule I find in the htaccess file so, please, don't quote me on it.

I do realize that abyss is a different program then apache and that abyss won't have the same bugs as apache. I haven't heard anything of this sorts since I started using MODx; of the page layout breaking the cache of a site and with this being the case it may not be a problem with the web server at all. It may be a problem with the browser and how it is designed to store the cache/session data for a site.

Like I said, this is just a guess.

aprelium, thank you for your response.
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody wrote:
It is something I found in a htaccess file for MODx. TRUSTAbyss' AWS:MRT ignored it during the translation so I assume it was safe to ignore.

I don't really know what to do about RewriteRules that show up like that. I can force the script to ignore RewriteRule's that have just a "-" for the redirect. I don't think this will cause problems for the rest of the script, since it's invalid anyway. Basically, if it has a "-" from the beginning of the script, it will ignore the RewriteRule and proceed to the next. Do you like the idea?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
anybody
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice the rule until I opened the htaccess file but your script translated the htaccess file except the above rewrite. I've used other rewrite rules I have in abyss to translate it. I'm sure the translation was right but what I got was a 404 on every page on my entire site so your idea is probably a good idea but then again you may not have to make any changes 'cause your script did ignore it.
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody,

I noticed a behavior that wasn't supposed to happen. The RewriteRule translated perfectly, but the RewriteCond was ignored. I think it's safe to say that we found a bug in AWS:MRT's behavior. The RewriteCond is the most important piece of information that could stop the rule from ever running. The RewriteCond checks to see if a User Agent relates to the Dummy Connection in Apache. When that condition is true, it runs the RewriteRule portion which points to nothing. I will probably have to make more than one modification to the parseModRewrite() function to fix this behavior. I have to run many tests today, including the white-space between RewriteRule/RewriteCond Regular Expressions. I will keep you posted of my progress.

Sincerely, Joshua H (TRUSTAbyss)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
anybody
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> URL Rewriting All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: