given up on matts scripts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
travisjforeman
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: given up on matts scripts Reply with quote

I found all the sites online that were hosted in windows, and that had the matts scripts forums on their sites. come to find out, none of them worked!

so, there is YABB and PHB BB.

do they both require email authentication. that's sort of a bummer i mean it's great for security and spam, but it adds that extra step and you know how lazy people are I don't want to keep them from posting because they are lazy.

then, my other question is are they able to be listed on your own domain instead of theirs and do they do it without ads.

and are they free.

and are there any special instructions to make sure i do it right.

thanks.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Moxxnixx
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: given up on matts scripts Reply with quote

travisjforeman wrote:
do they both require email authentication. that's sort of a bummer i mean it's great for security and spam, but it adds that extra step and you know how lazy people are I don't want to keep them from posting because they are lazy.
No. You can set it up so visitors can register without requiring email authentication.

travisjforeman wrote:
then, my other question is are they able to be listed on your own domain instead of theirs and do they do it without ads.
Yes. You just install them on your own server.

travisjforeman wrote:
and are they free.
Yes, they are free.

travisjforeman wrote:
and are there any special instructions to make sure i do it right.
They come with documentation on how to install them.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
travisjforeman
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: one last question Reply with quote

the first parts of the instructions i got when i downloaded yabb's zip file for windows, are confusing. they mention CHMOD commands. the way i understood it was that with windows xp and abyss server, there is either no way to CHMOD, or there is no need.

so I could try doing it but i'd like to at least get that out of the way because it's been confusing me each time i add a new feature and it mentions using the CHMOD command.

thanks. travis.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
canoedf
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Try something ..... different ! Reply with quote

Fudforum just works and seems fairly secure from looking at the php source.

http://fudforum.org/forum/

The original developer seems to have fallen off the face of the earth but the community goes on.

I made it work under Abyss with Postgresql backend. In a word, nice.
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: one last question Reply with quote

travisjforeman wrote:
the first parts of the instructions i got when i downloaded yabb's zip file for windows, are confusing. they mention CHMOD commands. the way i understood it was that with windows xp and abyss server, there is either no way to CHMOD, or there is no need.thanks. travis.
Yes, you don't need to on windows.

Some other forum software to check out are FluxBB/PunBB or SMF. FluxBB and PunBB (one is a fork of the other) are really simple.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Perl All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: