Self-Signed SSL certificate

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heval
-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Self-Signed SSL certificate Reply with quote

I installed self-signed SSL certificate using following link.
http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/articles/self-signed-cert.html .

Now I am using https and everything is OK.

I have 3 questions to ask, please:

1) Since my site now is accessed through HTTPS, does that mean that any information going out of my website is encrypeted?

2) What is Stunnel? Do I need to install it too?

3) What is OpenSSL? Do I need to install it?

I have a website that is only accessed by my family members. they have static IPs.

I am using Abyss since I created my website and I am very happy with it thanks to its creatore.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
DonQuichote
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: SSL questions Reply with quote

Quote:
1) Since my site now is accessed through HTTPS, does that mean that any information going out of my website is encrypted?

Yes. You have a certificate that is used for the encryption. The only thing a self-signed certificate does not provide is the certainty that you are who you say you are. Anyone can generate a certificate, but the signing authorities require some proof of identity.

Quote:
2) What is Stunnel? Do I need to install it too?

Search engines are your friends. But don't confuse SSL and SSH. They are two completely separate things.

Quote:
3) What is OpenSSL? Do I need to install it?

You probably already have. Otherwise, how did you generate your certificate?

If you order a signed certificate and get it in some unknown one-OS-only format, you will probably need OpenSSL to convert it to something useful. The Abyss must come with some SSL implementation to do HTTPS traffic. This may or may not be done with OpenSSL internally, I don't know.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think STunnel is SSH. Its a way to get SSL on other programs (e.g. Abyss before it had SSL support, which I recall some people did).

Anyway, you don't need it. Abyss already has SSL support.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> SSL/Certificates All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: