How does my server LAN IP "change itself"..?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinselberg
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: How does my server LAN IP "change itself"..? Reply with quote

rinselberg wrote:
I've got this all straightened out; here's how it breaks down:

router IP:

server LAN IP as displayed by Mac OS X System Preferences, Networking, TCP/IP panel; this is the IP that goes into the router port forwarding table for the port (I selected 8000) used by the Abyss Web Server:

server WAN IP (allows remote access):

My objective is to post links (URLs) on message boards that remote users can use to retrieve files on my hard disk.

Since the server WAN IP changes every few days, I guess the next step will be to establish a domain name.

Thanks to Moxxnixx, loloyd and pkSML for your assistance.

I've been running the Abyss X1 (freeware) Web Server for about a month.

The only glitch is that my server LAN IP sometimes changes from 192.168.123.100 to 192.168.123.101 (or vice-versa). I have no idea how this happens. But then I have to manually update the IP entry in my router port forwarding table for port 8000 (which I selected) for the Abyss Web Server, in order to restore the Abyss functionality. This has happened two times in the last few days. First it changed from 192.168.123.100 to 192.168.123.101 and then (a few days later) it went back to 192.168.123.100 .. I don't know whether the computer was stopped and restarted during this interval or was running continuously.

I don't know much about networking.

I just want to post this and see if anyone has a comment.

For more history, please see:
http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15011
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Moxxnixx
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To keep your lan IP from changing, you will need to configure a static IP for it.
Please follow these instructions...
http://portforward.com/networking/static-Mac10.4.htm
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rinselberg
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, Moxxnixx.

But unless I'm not "getting something", there's another problem: The DSL package that we're subscribed to does not provide a static IP port. And it would cost some real money to upgrade.

Since this is a hobby, not a business, my plan is just to monitor my LAN IP port address and whenever it changes (which seems to be infrequently) I will update my router table.

For the record, I did go through the protocol of setting a static IP port with the Mac Network System Preferences panels, using the "Manual" setting. I followed the "recipe" that Moxxnixx provided (above). But a day or so later, I found that my Internet connection was down. I thought that it must be this "Manual" change that I made, so I restored the Network System Preferences "configure IPv4" to "DHCP" (dynamic). And then my Internet connection was restored. But now that I think about it.. I'm really not sure what went wrong and whether it was necessary to restore "DHCP" to fix it.

So I guess I don't know exactly where all this stands but I seem to be "limping along".
rinselberg
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On second thought..

I have restored the Manual setting to "confiugre IPv4", which is called for by the reference that Moxxnixx posted (above).

I will be watching to see if my Internet connnectivity goes down in an otherwise apparently inexplicable way as it did previously when I was running with this Manual setting.
bprsk8r4272
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

say you have 2 computers compA(192.168.1.100) and compB(192.168.1.101) if your router gets reset and you have say compA turned off and compB turned on when it resets then the ip of compA will change and end up being compB's ip and vice versa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of options

1. Define a static address.

2. Allow port 8080 for both ip addresses.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
sandypeter111
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

Probably an issue with your dsl router.
KamakaZ
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbenson wrote:
A couple of options

1. Define a static address.

2. Allow port 8080 for both ip addresses.

Exactly what i was thinking, although a static IP would be better, security wise...
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
phpjunkie
-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact your ISP and make sure you have a static IP address. If you don't have one then i suggest you order one.

In your router turn off the uber gay DHCP.

TIP: DHCP is widely known for causing IP conflicts with multiple computers.

Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click properties.

The IP Address will be the new address of the computer.
The Default Dateway is the IP address of your router.
The Primary and Alternate (Secondary) DNS Servers addresses you can get from your router. If they don't work then I suggest visiting your ISP's website. They almost always have them listed. If not you'll have to contact your ISP to get them.

By the way, you'll have to assign a new IP Address for each computer attached to the router.

This is pretty much the same in Vista. The only difference between Vista and XP is Vista has far more uber bloatware garbage then XP does and in Vista these property panels are in different locations to gain access to them.

NOTE: You'll have to forward the ports needed for abyss in your router.

HTTP Port: 80
HTTPS Port: 443

Some routers like any uber gay Netgear routers have some retarded firewall settings that will block anyone from seeing your websites and these uber gay features need to be disabled.

If you can't figure that out then I suggest you get your self someone or hire omeone who knows what they are doing.

TIP: DHCP was designed for those who don't know what they are doing or to be used in a coffee shop or something similar and DHCP is the #1 cause of IP conflicts on any local network. The only time I use DHCP is when I'm setting up a router for a customer who knows close to nothing about computers.

Most routers do have a range of IP Addresses that aren't used by the DHCP and are reserved for static IP addressing.

TIP: I have far to much experience with home based routers and Linksys routers simply just work. Don't go trying to save your self money. Go buy a Linksys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: