Need help, can't view website from school and other problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedRaz0r
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Need help, can't view website from school and other problem Reply with quote

Alright so my first problem is that I can't view my website from the school computers. It says something about the connection being refused, so I don't really know what went wrong. It works at friends houses and everywhere else, just not at school. And I know it's not their filter, because this page comes up saying "Smart Filter" when you try to go to a blocked site and it tells you why it was blocked.

My other problem is just more of a question. So I have a domain from GoDaddy, so how do i get it to work with my website?

the link to my site is
http://131.191.29.200:8080/

Thanks for the help
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about your access from school problem, but I can help you with the domain. You need to setup a DNS record for your domain to point to your server. If you have a static IP then you should use a normal A record and set it for your server's IP address (131.191.29.200). If your IP is dynamic then you should get some kind of dynamic DNS service working with your domain, or otherwise if possible use a CNAME record on your domain to point to another domain you have for your server, such as a subdomain from dyndns/freedns/no-ip.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RedRaz0r
-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright thanks I will mess with that tonight. I also have another question. How do I get rid of the :8080 in my URL?
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use port 80 instead, its the default and isn't required in the URL. Does your ISP block port 80? If you have to use port 8080 then you could use a cloaking service, but in my opinion those suck and it takes away some of your domain's functionality.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RedRaz0r
-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ISP used to block 80, but they have changed a lot so I'm not sure if they still do, I will check though
teltak
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your school is like mine they just block using ip's so u cant goto myspace that way. it wont say it was blocked though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: