x1(temp) and linux before x 2.5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mykill
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: x1(temp) and linux before x 2.5 Reply with quote

I installed the free x1 on Fedora. the server chose port 8000 when installed for viewing default "welcome to abyss server webpage". i tried to change it to "default http port 80". did not work. I still cant see 'localhost' with out adding :8000.

when I try to change it to listen on port 80 or 8080, it gives a listening error.

in the .config file, it does update any change I make in the console.

the computer is not hooked to the internet, so I cant test if traffic can see the default host site via setting up a DybDNS fowarding account pointing to my ip.

ie, johnsmith.homelinux(.)com

I assumed all servers are on port 80.

if some one goes to johnsmith.homelinux(.)com, will it go to the default host @ port 8000?

If I buy X2.5 for linux so I can host multiple sites, will all virtual hosts I add need :8000 at the end of them to reach the destination .com?

I'm debating switching all my 20 hosts over to the Fedora from Windows where I already have a Abyss 2.5 running.
anyway around this :8000 at the end of localhost, or johnsmith(.)com on the linux box?

:)
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This howto is for Debian, but it addresses the fact that you'll have to be root to be able to use "well-known" ports. Hope it helps:

http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12536
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
mykill
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I was figuring maybe apache could be looming somewhere on my system. I did not install it, but may be it was in the .iso I used.

worse case I'll need to dump the HD and start with a new install of fedora and pay close attention to what packages are installed durring the whole process. I guess I need to be more attentive. :(
haha!

I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for the link 'Don" ;)
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed X2.5 on Fedors. Still can;t get it on port 80 as a user. BUT, I can on the root account. So, if I stay logged in as 'root', will outside traffic get access to hosts?

sorry for so many stupid questions, but I'm not as krafty as most ppl here.

another question:

if the above will not work, can I use port foarding with a router?

ie, forwarding all incomming traffis at 80 to 8000 or 8080? not familiar with routers, so excuse if this also is stupid question :(
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: