Reasons you chose Abyss WebServer 2.5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Why Abyss?
Cost
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Ease
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Both
62%
 62%  [ 15 ]
Other (please elaborate)
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 24

mykill
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reasons you chose Abyss WebServer 2.5 Reply with quote

I picked it cause of the console. There are tons of servers around. most require a PHD in coding to get em up and edit settings.

Not Abyss.

Awesome! easy to configure with the console. Some other servers have consoles, BUT most of them are hundreds of dollars. Abyss is REALLY affordable, and with all Abyss gives for the price.... it is the ONLY choice.

Abyss also has really great tutorials on how to do things. AbyssUnderground and TrustAbyss are great with more indepth tuts! ;)

Currently I run it on wip xp. I love Linux. Especially Debian based, so since my protection plan is up, I'll get Abyss 2.5 for Linux and replace mr. gates and his broken windows. :)

Can't wait for 2.6 AND 3.0!!!

L8R
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Configuration Reply with quote

I Picked the Abyss for ease and possibility of configuration. I started out with Personal Web Server (an IIS variant that is shipped with Windows '98) and it seriously hindered me doing web development. There just were too many bugs.

At that time, I already worked in a few companies that ran Apache on all workstations and we had some nice configuration issues. Configuring Apache is a craft that can only be mastered after a few years of dedicated study.

When someone in a newsgroup mentioned the Abyss, I checked it out and liked the promises enough to try it out. I never ran any other web server afterwards.

PWS was even easier to configure than the Abyss: there hardly was any configuration. But that meant there were hardly any options either. I think the Abyss has exactly the right balance between number of options and ease of maintenance.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both.

Abyss was actually the first Web Server I ever tried. I immediately loved its simplicity. I did try Apache a few times but never got anywhere with it. Same with IIS. I never even got PHP working on either of them.

Cost was a good factor. I'd never paid for any software before. Sure I'd paid for games but Abyss was the first piece of software I'd paid for and it sure felt good to know I got great performance and reliability for such a great price.

Since I started using Abyss I've never looked back. I used to run my sites from home on my broadband but over the last 18 months I've outgrown my broadband's upload bandwidth, so I got a dedicated server 18 months ago with a 100Mbps symmetrical connection. It runs great even :-)
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how I came across Abyss, but it was either the first or the second web server I ever played with. I like it because its light but has good functionality. And yes it is easier than Apache, but I'd probably use Abyss over again if I had to manually edit abyss.conf.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mykill
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, apache seems SO complex(in bad ways). I don't like to 'dog' them, but jeeze, some ppl need something a bit better that is more simple. Not a common combination. But Abyss has done it. This is a great product.

Cya!
M
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose it because of both ease of use and cost (free). I found out about it when reading about web servers on Wikipedia. Previously, I played around a bit with other very simple web servers, but none of them really stuck with me. I finally got serious about putting up my own server, and Abyss has worked very well.

I don't need a web server for anything more than a few web pages and maybe a couple other things in the future. I had web sites up on various services like Yahoo but I was never really satisfied with them most because of the advertisements that they force on the pages.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Checker
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted something to run on Windows, easy to configure and not very expensive. Abyss fit the bill. I've been using Abyss for about three or four years and I have recommended it to many people.

I am hosting three web sites, one for the church I go to, and two for myself. Two of the web sites have forums which were a piece of cake to set up. Using information provided by abyss I installed PHP, mySQL, and then loaded phpBB3 all within a few minutes. This would have been a nightmare using the so-called mainstream servers like Apache.

My vote is both ... and more!!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
nicolas
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: apache and abyss Reply with quote

Abyss works like a charm. Apache is like Bind for DNS : powerful but difficult to maintain if administrators work seriously. Abyss is the technical example to follow in terms of management of recurrent and simple tasks. I appreciate eventually its openness to other technologies and the user community.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
swissboney3
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abyss web server offers everything i need and its easy to set up...tried apache and the installation alone was too complicated...never bothered with IIS or PWS or anythin else...it was thanks to a friend of mine who uses it that i found out about it, and i swear by it, and i recommend it to anyone wanting a decent webserver
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: