Backup MySQL Daily?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Backup MySQL Daily? Reply with quote

I'm wanting to backup all of my MySQL databases daily. Can I just copy the data directory?

I can write a script to do whatever I need to do unless one of you has another suggestion.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Manacit
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume your using linux, make a crontab to run however often you want to update your databases, and use mysqldump to back the databases up, and optionally send them to another server. More info on mysqldump can be found at http://www.devshed.com/c/a/MySQL/Backing-up-and-restoring-your-MySQL-Database/
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Norton Ghost to backup my MySQL data. It works brilliantly. I make hourly backups and keep a 5 day archive. :)

If you want to do a simple copy and paste backup, you must stop the MySQL service and all related software (eg the winmysqladmin.exe program, not Abyss etc) and then copy it or it will say file in use. Norton Ghost uses the Shadow Copy service or something built into the OS to copy without doing that.
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I am using Windows. I might consider mysqldump, but I already wrote a script to copy the data directory. My mysql isn't complaining when I copy the files (it is running). Mine is the NT daemon (mysqld-nt.exe).

If anyone wants my backup script, just ask (I wrote it using my latest fascination...Python). It also backs up the htdocs directory. It dates the folders too (htdocs_6-9-08 for example).
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lawrence
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MySQL offers a free tool that does this for you. Their MySQL Admin program allows you to set up scheduled backups from a live database. It works perfectly well in Windows, and once you tell it how often it automatically sets Windows up to trigger it.

Dead easy, and totally reliable.

http://www.mysql.com/products/tools/administrator/
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Databases All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: