Remote Printer Access?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boydpdx
-

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Remote Printer Access? Reply with quote

My plan is to use the server computer (WinXP Home) to connect to the printer attached to it, so I can remotely print invoices and such when I'm on the road. Is this possible somehow in Abyss?

I've got everything working fine, with a DYNDNS domain. I just don't know where to start. Is there a "printer path" that would allow access? Can't run IIS or Remote Desktop.

Thanks for any help.

Boyd
Oregon
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not possible in Abyss but there is some software called Hamachi which is a Virtual VPN client. You run it on two computers and it makes the computers act like they're on the same network over the internet, just like your local area network (LAN). www.hamachi.cc is the address. Its very good software and I use it myself. You simply connect to the 5.x.x.x address like you would with a normal network share, eg \\5.5.5.5 and select the printer.

Hope this helps. If you need any help with it let me know.
boydpdx
-

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: OK Hamachi is running... Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, I think... I'm a little unclear as to what I have set up.

I installed and started Hamachi on the two computers in my home network and activated Hamachi. Then on the computer that will be the remote computer I installed the network printer.

Does this mean I now have a network printer accessible over the internet via the virtual VPN?

B.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: OK Hamachi is running... Reply with quote

boydpdx wrote:
Thanks for the tip, I think... I'm a little unclear as to what I have set up.

I installed and started Hamachi on the two computers in my home network and activated Hamachi. Then on the computer that will be the remote computer I installed the network printer.

Does this mean I now have a network printer accessible over the internet via the virtual VPN?

B.

Well you have to create a network on one of the PC's and join it with the second. When you join the two pc's are then linked (make sure in options you un-check the vulnerable services box in options or the shares won't work).

After you do that, simply go onto the pc you want to print from, in an explorer window, type "\\5.5.5.5" where 5.5.5.5 is the computer with the printers hamachi IP address. After a few seconds it will open like normal file shares and printers should be one of them. You can simply then install the printer as you would over a local network.
boydpdx
-

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Ooops... Reply with quote

Sorry, I left out the most important part. I DID setup a new network in Hamachi on one computer and then joined that network with the other running Hamachi. I then went about finding the network printer from the to-be-remote computer, which it found on the other computer that has the printer cabled to it.

So, that means that because both computers are on the Hamachi network, they are connected across the internet. Right? So I would be able to go to a remote location and still have access to the printer?

Is there a way to check that without leaving the physical location?

B.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ooops... Reply with quote

boydpdx wrote:
Sorry, I left out the most important part. I DID setup a new network in Hamachi on one computer and then joined that network with the other running Hamachi. I then went about finding the network printer from the to-be-remote computer, which it found on the other computer that has the printer cabled to it.

So, that means that because both computers are on the Hamachi network, they are connected across the internet. Right? So I would be able to go to a remote location and still have access to the printer?

Is there a way to check that without leaving the physical location?

B.

Yes thats right it will work over the internet, albeit a lot slower. There is no easy way to check if it works but I see no reason why it wouldn't. Its a system thats never failed for me before. I guess you'll have to go out on the road and try it.
boydpdx
-

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: That's slick... Reply with quote

Wow, now that's slick. I think I'll go down to the cybercafe and check it out.

Thanks for your help!

B.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: That's slick... Reply with quote

boydpdx wrote:
Wow, now that's slick. I think I'll go down to the cybercafe and check it out.

Thanks for your help!

B.

No problem. You can also use remote desktop over it too if you wanted, or any other software for that matter. Simply use the hamachi IP address like you would any other IP address and viola. Its a program that is -too- useful :-)
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I share printers in my house as well. It's a bit slower since it goes through the internet, but it works well.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: