MIME types and how do you do this?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmstacey2000
-

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: MIME types and how do you do this? Reply with quote

I server some video clips on my website, and when a person clicks the file it opens their default media-player to stream the data, but I don't want that.
What do I set the MIME video one so that when a person clicks it it downloads to their hard drive via the windows downloader or their default downloader.
Thanks!

-Jon-
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not zip your media and save a little space? Also, you can simply provide instructions telling them it is either best to right click and save the file because of bandwidth limitations if any or because its prefered for any reason... Good luck :)
jmstacey2000
-

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really want to zip video files. It doesn't do so well for quality :wink:

-Jon-
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you wish to publish a variety of media such as .mp3, .wma and .avi, but when someone clicks on these types, instead of launching the users default application it automatically downloads instead? Interesting, I hope you find the answer to this...

BTW, does zipping media really tamper with the quality after it is unzipped?
jmstacey2000
-

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least thats what I've heard. They say that mp3 and divx files etc. are already compressed, compressing them more into zip supposedly some information packets could get lost, so I just don't do it.

-Jon-
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: MIME types and how do you do this? Reply with quote

jmstacey2000 wrote:
I server some video clips on my website, and when a person clicks the file it opens their default media-player to stream the data, but I don't want that.
What do I set the MIME video one so that when a person clicks it it downloads to their hard drive via the windows downloader or their default downloader.
Thanks!

-Jon-

Just remove references to mp3 and other extensions in the MIME table. That way, Abyss will send their MIME type as application/octet-stream. This can help in 50% of the cases.
But IE is the browser used by the downloader, it will ignore the MIME type and rely on the extension to "guess" the appropriate application to launch from the file extension.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: