Abyss keeping SQL Express Databases Attached.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SunsetTowers
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Abyss keeping SQL Express Databases Attached. Reply with quote

Server Version 2.5
ASP.NET Version 2.0
.NET Version 3.5
Development Platform - Visual Studio 2008
Database - SQL Express 2005(With advanced Text Services)

Problem

Abyss is keeping the database attached.

Once the page has been served abyss keeps the database attached and it can no longer be connected to from VS until I stop the server.

I get an error in VS similar to this after the server has been allowed to access the database. It is the same error I get if I try to run the program from the server, but have the database connection open in VS. However as soon as I close the connection in VS, the program works fine from the server. However as stated above, the only way to get abyss to release the connect is to stop the server.

Cannot open user default database. Login failed.
Login failed for user 'UserName'.

VS opens the database with a different user name.

This is a problem I never had with IIS.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abyss Web Server doesn't directly access any databases. It is done by whatever script or application you are visiting. Abyss executes the script (the script accesses the DB), grabs the output and gives it to you. Generally the script or application will then terminate.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Abyss keeping SQL Express Databases Attached. Reply with quote

SunsetTowers,

For performance reasons, Abyss Web Server will not unload your ASP.NET application after it has been accessed. This probably why the connection is kept open since your application does not explicitly close it.
SunsetTowers
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not keeping any connections open. I use only SqlDataSources and use the select, insert, etc statements from there.

What is happening is the database is remaining attached after the page has completed it loading cycle. This means that VS 2008, can not attached the database for editing, nor can I edit the SqlDataSources using the query builder.

On a production server, I would agree with not unloading the application.

Is there a possiblity of getting a development switch so that the application is unloaded after the page has loaded. I mean I am developing locally so the extra time it takes reload the application would be negligeble.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SunsetTowers wrote:
Is there a possiblity of getting a development switch so that the application is unloaded after the page has loaded. I mean I am developing locally so the extra time it takes reload the application would be negligeble.

We suggest setting "FastCGI timeout" to a low value (it is by default 240 seconds, but in your situation, a 10 second value would be fine).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> ASP.NET All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: