Can I switch to linux after buying for windows?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Can I switch to linux after buying for windows? Reply with quote

I bought abyss for windows, I'm considering getting a new rig and running it with Linux for my servers, my question is do I have to re-purchase abyss or can I get a Linux build?

Thanks,
Angel
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply contact Aprelium and have your license switched over to the Linux version. You will then only receive updates for the Linux version.
Angel
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks for the info and the quick reply Abyss :)
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Can I switch to linux after buying for windows? Reply with quote

Angel,

You can switch to any operating system (Linux/Mac OS X/Windows/FreeBSD) and have your license changed for free. Just send a simple request to priority@aprelium.com and we'll do the required.
Angel
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch for the quick replies and information it's greatly appreciated!!!
-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea...

Perhaps a log-in for paying members that allows downloads of the different OS's supported by Abyss..

I've considered Linux as a server once, but then I woke up (just in time, I was SCURRED!)

Windows as a server platform has treated me excellent, and I don't see the point in switching OS's except to introduce complication to web administration.
-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux really isn't terribly more complicated. I feel somewhat the same way as you though. Most likely you would run Linux without a GUI and that is what makes it less appealing maintenance and configuration wise. But once you get a configuration the server is really likely to run solid for pretty much as long as you want it to.

If you want a taste of Linux as a server then run it in a Virtual Machine on your server and host a site off of port 81 or something. I'd go with something Debian based for the OS, probably Ubuntu Server. Or if you want a GUI stick a light distro on there like DSL. If you need a VM app I'd use Virtual Box (free) or VMware Server (also free). One of these days I'm going all Linux, WINE is slowly but surely improving.

I think Aprelium doesn't want people to be licensed to all OS versions of Abyss because they might be tempted to use it more than once. That is understandable, but the download once thing is slightly annoying...maybe at least a second download? I remember I missed the link when I first bought Abyss. ;) I think thats fairly common with new comers. Now I never miss the link and I back it up.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubuntu/Kubuntu messed up the video drivers on my laptop and cooked the harddrive controller on my (now retired) desktop.

I'd be afraid to install it on my decently built server just for a "difference" in appearance.

I have the server running silently in the crawlspace (less dust, little cooler), thus the appearance makes no difference to me.

Although with the large userbase on Linux Servers, there surely has to be some advantage.

That userbase is exactly why I don't go to professional web development, I don't have the time, motivation, resources, or will-power to learn Linux, when Windows has done me (semi) well since 3.1.
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Ubuntu/Kubuntu messed up the video drivers on my laptop and cooked the harddrive controller on my (now retired) desktop

I can believe the video driver part, but being both a software AND hardware engineer, I can't fathom how in the world anyone could imaging a software application "cooking" a hardware controller.

Interesting concept though :)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you're so interested and in disbelief, I have the old motherboard, cables, power supply, and primary harddrive all in a box of junk parts now.

People can write applications (viruses) that damage hardware, could be as simple as parking and unparking heads of a harddrive quickly, writing to a harddrive controller a ton of invalid commands, which may burn out servo motors, causing a shorted coil. This short could propagate through the logic structure in the board causing an eventual system-wide failure. Just my thoughts being a software engineer.
-

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, ok. I suppose any thing is possible, but on this planet, I've never heard anything like this before. But I'll admit I haven't seen everything in the world....there's always something new out there. If I were a betting man though ..... :)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: