Presales Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrdeahl
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Presales Question Reply with quote

I am currently running apache for windows on a P4 2.4gh, 4 monitor computer. I am on a 1 meg dsl connection.

I have been using apache but keep trying to play with abyss because of some features.

There are 3 items I need to get resolved before I bite the bullet and buy x2.

1.) I have a few web pages that do a directory listing of files. Some of these listings are as high as 3,500+ files. They can be right clicked and downloaded.

Problem. Some people are using download managers and or website copiers and consuming a lot of bandwidth. I have tried netlimiter 2 and it seems to help but also reboots my computer occasionally.

Qestion. What is an example limiting structure in x2 to stop multiple connections, time allotment, etc for some areas or directories. In other words, limit connection per ip to 3, make directory limits. What is a good setup for all of this?

2.) Real time displayed data.

Problem. I have tried several software products that real time display online activity. None so far, which seems strange given the apparant demand, will display the actual webpage or file deing downloaded in real time.

Question. Is there any software out there that can do this before the file is actually downloaded?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

John
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You can use the fine bandwidth throttling available in X2 to help with this, so you could limit the maximum speed per IP address. There is also a setting to only allow so many connections per IP, disable download resuming, etc.

2. Unfortunately not (yet).
Axis
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello jrdeahl--

BareTail from http://www.baremetalsoft.com/?app=BareTail&ver=1.02c&build=2004-07-20

will give you realtime stats on your site(s).

Regards,
Axis
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axis wrote:
Hello jrdeahl--

BareTail from http://www.baremetalsoft.com/?app=BareTail&ver=1.02c&build=2004-07-20

will give you realtime stats on your site(s).

Regards,
Axis

Just to clarify...

1. When you monitor your logfile, you will not see when someone's downloading a file until they're finished with the download. That's because the logfile isn't updated until the connection is terminated with the client. (Every webserver is that way.)

2. Of course, to use Baretail or Tail for Win32 (website), you must be either on the server computer or have the drive shared on a network to see the data.

http://CodeBin.yi.org
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pksml wrote:
1. When you monitor your logfile, you will not see when someone's downloading a file until they're finished with the download. That's because the logfile isn't updated until the connection is terminated with the client. (Every webserver is that way.)

Um, this isn't exactly correct. In my office connection, I normally host large files (some are video files and others are ISO files). For instance, someone else wants to download a 4 Gig ISO image that I host. While seeing the actual upload activity from my DU-Meter, I can already spot the name of the ISO image being downloaded from my server through my Abyss logs via Baretail. It appears that Abyss logs the request as soon as it issues all HTTP headers to the client, and not after the connection with the client has terminated. I've also seen this happen myself as I sometimes copy other big files from my PC onto another's PC via HTTP.

http://home.loloyd.com/ is online if the logo graphic at left is showing.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: