MySQL 4.1 won't install as a Windows Service ... Any ideas?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rvalens2
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: MySQL 4.1 won't install as a Windows Service ... Any ideas? Reply with quote

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have on this problem.

I have downloaded and tried to install MySql 4.1. However, the easy installation Windows Executable Version will not allow me to install MySql as a Windows Service. When I get to that part of the installation the choice is grayed-out. It runs through the rest of the install but zip, nada, nothing happens. (no green light)

After the installation, I can find the MySQL Server files and folders and even see them listed in the directory. But there is no WINMYSQLADMIN.EXE file in the BIN folder or anywhere else. There is a MYSQLADMIN.EXE but not the windows version. I've gone through the process of uninstalling the program and then reinstalling it. That didn't work. After that, I removed the entire directory structure to be certain the files were gone. Same result.

I suspect it might be something in the Windows Registry like a registration file that isn't being deleted. But I'm not certain what to look for.

Anybody out there have any ideas what's gone wrong?

I've successfully installed the Abyss Web Server and PHP 5 but this problem's got me stumped. I am trying to install MySQL on a Windows 98SE computer. And in case you're wondering ... I have read and faithfully followed the installation instructions from both TrustAbyss and the AbyssUnderground. I've even read dozens of posts before posting this message, but I couldn't find one that deals with this specific problem.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Sal

I love Abyss! Keep up the great works guys!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
robbith
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I'm 100% correct with this, but as far as I know, windows 95/98/ME cannot run services. You can only setup services on NT based systems like XP/2000/2003 etc.

If anyone else knows better please let me know!
rvalens2
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I don't know if I'm 100% correct with this, but as far as I know, Windows 95/98/ME cannot run services. You can only setup services on NT based systems like XP/2000/2003 etc. "

Hmm ... If anyone out there in the Abyss World knows if this is true, I would sure like to hear from you.

In the meantime: . . .

Robbith, Thanks for the reply. I have a Windows XP computer that I can try try loading it on but I really would prefer to use it on my older Windows 98se machine; since I already have Abyss and PHP installed there.
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first lines from http://livedocs.adobe.com/coldfusion/6.1/htmldocs/configu7.htm support robbith's statement that Windows 98 and ME each do not run "services" the way NT-based systems do.

Moreover, are you sure MySQL 4.1 works on Win98SE? I haven't read (or can't find) info on this from dev.mysql.com

http://home.loloyd.com/ is online if the logo graphic at left is showing.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rvalens2
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loloyd:
Thanks for the link and the info, looks like that's the problem. I'm certain it will be helpful to others who find themselves in the same situation.

MySQL 4.1 just won't install on a Windows 98 or ME computer.

Sal
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To run MySQL on Windows, you need the following:

A 32-bit Windows operating system such as 9x, Me, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, or Windows Server 2003.

A Windows NT-based operating system (NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 2003) permits you to run the MySQL server as a service. The use of a Windows NT-based operating system is strongly recommended. See Section 2.3.11, “Starting MySQL as a Windows Service”.

Source: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/windows-installation.html

In short, v4.1 will work on Win98, but not as a service.

rvalens2 wrote:
I have a Windows XP computer that I can try try loading it on but I really would prefer to use it on my older Windows 98se machine; since I already have Abyss and PHP installed there.

All you need to do to transfer your server over is copy the directories for PHP and Abyss. Just place them in the same dir structure as the old comp.
For example:
(Win98) c:\program files\abyss\ --> (WinXP) c:\program files\abyss\
(Win98) c:\php\ --> (WinXP) c:\php

Then place a shortcut to Abyss in startup folder on your start menu. As simple as that.

http://CodeBin.yi.org

Last edited by pkSML on Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that 9x operating systems cannot run services. You must run 4.0.24 (which should work on 9x but I cannot confirm this with no 9x machine to try it on).
rvalens2
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbyssUnderground wrote:
I can confirm that 9x operating systems cannot run services. You must run 4.0.24 (which should work on 9x but I cannot confirm this with no 9x machine to try it on).

Thanks Andy, I'll download the 4.0.24 version tonight and see if it works. I'll post a reply later with the results.
Sal
rvalens2
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm back with my final report on this issue.

As suspected, if you want to use MySql on a Windows 9x operating system you must use version 4.0.24 (or earlier?); since the 9x system cannot run services (whatever exactly that means).

So, what's the bottom line? If you're using running Abyss on an older 98x Windows operating system and want to use MySql; install version 4.0.24. The MySql installation on my Windows 98se computer went without a hitch and is running smoothly. It even shows the the little green stoplight. :o)

Thanks to all who replied. I hope this post helps future newbies.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 98 will never make a great stable server though so remember that. Great as a starter though and I hope you use it well enough that you realise, hold on, my site is too big for this server now! And you then have to upgrade :-)
rvalens2
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, Thanks for letting me know.

I am in fact, using my Windows 98se computer as a learning tool. Even with my limited knowledge, I was pretty certain it wasn't going to be a good idea to use it as a server.

That being said, I have really loved using my old 98se computer! I guess by today's standards it's a real clunker. But at a time when many of my friends machines kept crashing on them, this old work horse has been rock solid for me since I first put it together. Sure, it's only runs at 900 mhz but it does almost everything I need.

I know I should switch over and start using my much newer Windows XP computer (it's a lot faster). But I have so many files and programs on my old machine, I'm dreading the thought of having to do it. I am, however, slowly switching my programs over. It will be a sad day for me when my "old nag" has to be taken out, shot and dumped in the trash. :o(

I do have one last question for you. Do you happen to know if it is possible to "chain" several Abyss servers together? The reason I ask is ... I eventually plan on putting a massive amount of digital images online and was worried that I might not be able to do that with Abyss; since demand might exceed one server's abilities. I know this question is a little off-topic but I would appreciate finding out; since it impacts what I plan to do over the next few years.

Thanks.
Sal
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of chaining do you mean? Are you talking about multiple computers each running its own copies of Abyss but sharing only one domain name or external IP address? A load balancer + good enough router can handle that. It wouldn't be a good idea though if many of your servers run on Win98 as this OS severely suffers from a sluggish multi-threading kernel performance.

http://home.loloyd.com/ is online if the logo graphic at left is showing.
rvalens2
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, you hit the nail on the head.

I am talking about multiple computers each running its own copy of Abyss but sharing only one domain name or external IP address. Is that very hard to do? Doesn't sound like it, but then what do I know ... I'm a newbie at this type of stuff. While I'm certain I won't need a second server for awhile. I didn't want any surprises to come up that might bite me on the butt later. I am planning on using Windows XP PRO for any servers I put up on the net. I'm just experimenting now with 98 to get my feet wet before bringing my first XP server online later this year.

It does sound like what I'm going to need is a load balancer and a good router. I'm plannning on the computers being clones of one another, serving up the same images but distributing the demand. That way if anything happens to one, the other can bear the load for a few days while I get another one up. If you have any suggestions for me I'm all ears.

Sal
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't need to load balance anything unless you have a huge cpu load on the server.

I have a server in a datacenter. It has a 100Mbps connection and it gets around 2 hits a second to Abyss. Its not even on 5% average CPU load and its on about 0.5% bandwidth load average. I host 20 websites and thousands of images no problem.
Karapaz
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: MySQL 4 1 wont install as a Windows Service Any ideas Reply with quote

I have created a CRM in PHP & MySQL.

We have a clients and leads section which both allow you to schedule tasks for both. However, the scheduled tasks are in two different tables and I want to extract that info from both those tables using one query.

How do I do that?

Eventually I might have three or four tables to select from. is that also possible?
Sorry for offtop: ---SPAM LINK REMOVED---
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Databases All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: