remote access and some other questions...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackfordgr
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: remote access and some other questions... Reply with quote

i have abyss installed on a XP pro machine which has been on there for a couple yrs and works great. i use a spare computer in my garage that i store MP3s, pictures and video on and can access those away from home. I use port 333 for that and have port 334 to access the console(changed from 9999). i cant access the console away from home. i have the ports set in my router. i can access the console by going thru my local IP (192.168.0.103:334) but if i type my actual IP:334 it will not work. i know i acccesed the console away from home before.
Also it seems that while Abyss is running, my interent connection is bogged down. i ran a speed test with it on and off. my upload is affected most. its 1meg down which is normal and about a quarter of that is when its on. so its really using bandwidth. is there a way to see whats its doing or an IP tracker built in to see if people are accessing the music and pics? thanks
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: remote access and some other questions... Reply with quote

blackfordgr wrote:
i have abyss installed on a XP pro machine which has been on there for a couple yrs and works great. i use a spare computer in my garage that i store MP3s, pictures and video on and can access those away from home. I use port 333 for that and have port 334 to access the console(changed from 9999). i cant access the console away from home. i have the ports set in my router. i can access the console by going thru my local IP (192.168.0.103:334) but if i type my actual IP:334 it will not work. i know i acccesed the console away from home before.
Also it seems that while Abyss is running, my interent connection is bogged down. i ran a speed test with it on and off. my upload is affected most. its 1meg down which is normal and about a quarter of that is when its on. so its really using bandwidth. is there a way to see whats its doing or an IP tracker built in to see if people are accessing the music and pics? thanks

To access the console away from home, you'll need to be at home and login to the console. Click 'console configuration' and choose 'IP address control'. This is done on purpose to keep any miscreants from trying to access your web server settings. You must allow the IP address specifically or in a wildcard fashion. A simple * will allow any IP address.

As for your computer resources, you should check your web server logs. You'll find it by going to the Abyss folder and look around for access.log. Also get a bandwidth meter app. It will tell you how much bandwidth your garage computer is hogging. ( Example: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/bitmeter.html )

http://CodeBin.yi.org
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
blackfordgr
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i use to be able to log in the console from work but maybe the works IP changed and thats why i cant get back in. i'll have to re-configure it tonight thanks
blackfordgr
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i check the IP CONTROL and the IPs are in there.
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the order is allow/deny and that the IP address you want to have access from is listed in the allowed IP addresses table. Also make sure there are no denied IP addresses.

That will guarantee you access at http://your.server.ip.address:334/

PS What is the error message you have been getting when trying to access the console remotely?

blackfordgr
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only have allowed IP's in the box which is the first box and the 2nd box is the deny IPs which is empty. the error message i get is 'unable to connect, firefox cant establish a connection to server....'
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackfordgr wrote:
i only have allowed IP's in the box which is the first box and the 2nd box is the deny IPs which is empty. the error message i get is 'unable to connect, firefox cant establish a connection to server....'

The only thing I can figure then is that you need to perform port forwarding for 334 to your server's internal IP address. (Just like you did correctly for port 333)

BTW, your IP has changed since you last updated your webpage, so you will want to change the URLs for the pics and links.

blackfordgr
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkSML wrote:
blackfordgr wrote:

The only thing I can figure then is that you need to perform port forwarding for 334 to your server's internal IP address. (Just like you did correctly for port 333)

BTW, your IP has changed since you last updated your webpage, so you will want to change the URLs for the pics and links.

i have ports 333 and 334 on for the IP - 192.168.0.103.
it works with the internal IP on both ports but will only work with the http://IPaddress:333.
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, all I can suggest is that you try a different port. Go back to 9999 and forward that port. Trial and error is all that you can do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: