Microsoft giving away development tools to students

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olly86
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Microsoft giving away development tools to students Reply with quote

Microsoft wants more students using its software tools and it thinks it has hit on the right business model.

It's going to give away its software.

Starting this week, college students in 10 countries will be able to get Microsoft's Visual Studio and several other programs for free as part of an effort dubbed DreamSpark. Over the next year, Microsoft plans to offer the program worldwide for college and high school students.

In addition to giving away its Visual Studio tools, Microsoft is also providing no-charge access to its Expression Web design tools and its XNA studio for developing Xbox 360 software. Microsoft already provides discounted academic versions of its software, as well as a free "express" version of Visual Studio. Students can also get free copies of Windows Server and the developer version of the SQL Server database.

Link: https://downloads.channel8.msdn.com
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will sign up for this when I sign up for my College classes this spring. Sweet!
Expression Web For Free!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Moxxnixx
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your school is not listed on the msdn site, they give you an alternate link to use to verify through a third-party site.
I signed up yesterday and was verified instantly, but it took almost 24 hours to receive the confirmation/download email.

I second the Expression Web app. I've toyed with it in the past and it doesn't mangle your code like FrontPage does.
Unbelievable that I can get Visual Studio 2008 Pro Edition for free. Awesome! My entire VB class is downloading it. :)
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a member now! All I had to do was send them an email with my school acceptance letter. :-)
olly86
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was slightly more complex than what I needed to do. I was required to login to my university account using the external authentication system they provide, and I was granted instant access to the downloads.
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They haven't added my school to the list yet. I had to register through a 3rd party.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: