Sometimes assigned a strange IP address (LAN)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Sometimes assigned a strange IP address (LAN) Reply with quote

Sometimes, like when I renew my LAN IP address, it gives me a completely different IP (I have static IPs that're supposed to be assigned on my LAN).

My usual IP: 192.168.1.20 (assigned for my specific MAC by my M0n0wall router)
Strange IP: 192.168.128.133 (or similar)

As you can see, the strange IP doesn't follow the same scheme (192.168.1.*). A similar thing happens to my server computer if I try to renew the IP. The only way I have been able to correct the problem is to restart the computer. I'm wondering where this IP comes from, the DHCP server when I have that IP is different (192.168.128.254 and the correct DHCP server is 192.168.1.1).

This is a very strange problem. To be clear, when I get the strange IP I do not have connectivity to the other computers on my LAN or the internet. I'm what on earth assigns these IPs.

Edit: I can't replicate this again, anyway it happened repeatedly earlier today and I'm still curious what the issue was.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
olly86
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Windows is not assigned an IP address by the DHCP server it often assigns one it's self, and because it is outside your network's subnet the computer is unable to communicate with your network.
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Sometimes assigned a strange IP address LAN Reply with quote

Turn off and re-start your router.

If that doesnt work, turn off encryption on your router and see if you can connect. If that is ok, turn the encryption back on and try again.

Also, try deleting the configuration for your router in WZC, so that you are prompted to re-enter the password. In fact, do you have the same password in your router and lappy?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: