Email 530 authentication required

View previous topic :: View next topic  
svankamon
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Email 530 authentication required Reply with quote

Hi im using a script that keeps failing to send the mail. The script uses PHP mail function. The settings in php.ini are:

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = mail.btconnect.com
smtp_port = 25

; For Win32 only.
sendmail_from = timeandspace@btconnect.com

I recently changed it to this from:

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = mail.mydomain.com
smtp_port = 25

; For Win32 only.
sendmail_from = me@mydomain.com

The me@mydomain.com is the hmailserver i have installed. (ive had nothing but problems with it, thats not exactly true cos the scripts that use hmailserver are ok, so php function seems to be the problem)

The script as no settings within the mail.php.

Any sugestions?

Thanks a lot.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using this on standard broadband then you need to set up hMailServer to use an SMTP relay server, which will be something like smtp.yourispwebsite.com. The reason for this is that broadband IP's are nearly always (99% of the time) black listed on remote e-mail servers. Why? Because the IP is dynamic, no rDNS is set and they are often flagged as being a previous spammer.
svankamon
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Thanks for post Reply with quote

I have simple dns set up with rdns, spf, a and mx records, ns, cname.

the script doesnt use the localhost so cannot set it to authenticate hmailserver.

It uses the php mailsend. I have recently aplied to have my name removed from (?cantr remember) RBL? i think i was blacklisted because of a virus they say, i scanned my system and there was a trojan.??

But i remember you telling me before that broadband users were blacklisted.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Email 530 authentication required Reply with quote

svankamon,

PHP when sending email using SMTP does not support authentication. So if your mail server requests that the access to it needs a username and password, there is no way to send the email using the simple PHP mail() function.

Two solutions: use a mailing function/class that supports SMTP authentication
Or: configure your mail server to not request SMTP authentication when accessed from 127.0.0.1 (or even locally).
svankamon
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Forgot this, Reply with quote

Im using business broadband not standard. Thanks also aprelium for your sugestion, il take a few days off posting now to try your ideas out if i can work em out. Thanks again.

And i thought this website stuff was just about designing a pretty site and submitting to search engines. effect. Loads Of Money. LOl How wroing i was. I may need some arm bands in this pond cos its deep. Thanks.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot make your IP rDNS change just by running a DNS server, this has to be done by the ISP, and very few offer/allow this change. Even business broadband often doesn't offer this.

Your IP will not be removed from the database. I tried that myself and they replied saying they could not remove it because it is an IP inside an ISP's netblock and is therefore subject to spam abuse.

Your best bet is to set up gmail with smtp/pop and use that instead of running your own mail server. You will have much better results.

Because I own a dedicated server in a datacenter with a 100Mbps line, static IP and rDNS configuration I can happily run a mail server with no issues. Unfortunately thats often what it takes.
svankamon
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Two solutions: use a mailing function/class that supports SM Reply with quote

Hi. How do i get the "mailing function/class and where might i attain it.?

Are you refering to PEAR, authentication, which im told isnt compatible with windows?

If not could you give instructions on where and how to go about this as ive removed authentication from hmailserver and now the mails appear to be sent but actually arent unless theyre being deleted as spam.

Also i would prefer authentication in hmailserver switched on.

Thanks again, il get to other sugestions as i go, thanks.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Two solutions: use a mailing function/class that support Reply with quote

svankamon wrote:
Hi. How do i get the "mailing function/class and where might i attain it.?

Are you refering to PEAR, authentication, which im told isnt compatible with windows?

If not could you give instructions on where and how to go about this as ive removed authentication from hmailserver and now the mails appear to be sent but actually arent unless theyre being deleted as spam.

Also i would prefer authentication in hmailserver switched on.

Thanks again, il get to other sugestions as i go, thanks.

I think you failed to read my above post which describes it being impossible to run a mail server on your broadband.
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google's mail for your domain is a great service. I use it. Its pretty easy to setup...you just have to setup some MX records for Google and then you've got GMail. I'm still waiting for the ability to integrate my old GMail account and I think they plan on adding it at some point (its widely requested).

https://www.google.com/a/
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrinc, I never knew Google offered such a nice service. Thanks for sharing that! ;-)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: