Is it possible to 'hide' exact URL?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccs
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Is it possible to 'hide' exact URL? Reply with quote

I have an on-line reservation application that uses a number of small CGI programs (compiled exes) to gather the necessary data. After the initial page, each subsequent page is one of these CGIs that validates the info, then generates the next page in the process. All of this works just fine, however, the names of my CGI programs are displayed on the Address: line of the browser. This isn't a huge deal, but it gives a potential cracker one less obstacle to deal with.

Preferably, I'd like to keep this address as the first page (ie: www.mysite.com/reservations.htm) all the way through. Is this possible somehow? Would url rewriting (which I don't understand at all) be useful here?

Appreciate any/all ideas. :)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use an iframe or similar to do this but it won't keep it totally hidden, just means they have to right click and hit properties/page info to see the URL.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to 'hide' exact URL? Reply with quote

ccs,

URL rewriting could hide the actual CGI executable names.

We suggest having a look on the article in http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/articles/urlrewriting-tutorial.html as it explains step by step how to hide the URL of a PHP script. With minor changes, it could apply to your URLs too.
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to 'hide' exact URL? Reply with quote

ccs wrote:
Preferably, I'd like to keep this address as the first page (ie: www.mysite.com/reservations.htm) all the way through. Is this possible somehow? Would url rewriting (which I don't understand at all) be useful here?

Appreciate any/all ideas. :)

You couldn't keep the URL the same through each step with separate executables. One URL can only represent one file.

You might use URL rewriting to have nice URLs, such as /reservations/page1 and reservations/page2 -- or descriptive URLs -- like /reservations/info and reservations/confirm...

One thing to consider with URL rewriting when using executables: you'll have to update the executable's output. Specifically, you'll need to change each form's action tag with the nice rewritten URL.

http://CodeBin.yi.org
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
markspenser
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: i am agree with admin Reply with quote

You can follow him
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Web Design All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: