New Server!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: New Server! Reply with quote

Titles are deceptive, I have a "new" server (its old, but new in the sense that I'm just now using it). First of all I'm surprised XP runs decently on this thing:
Pentium 3 500Mhz
192MB ram (128+64)
4GB Old Hard Drive (loud!)
Wireless card

I've apparently had this for a long time, but I finally messed around with some of the old stuff sitting around. I gave it an extra 128MB ram (had 64MB) and stuck XP on it. I swapped my Abyss install over to it. Web pages and files are being served off of a network share (a partition on my computer). So far so good. Guess it doesn't matter much what your hardware is (we're talking about a small site).
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

I always like setting up a new server (whether "old" or "new"). It's like getting presents on Christmas!

Also, how is Toast coming along?

http://CodeBin.yi.org
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new server. XP will run fine on 166mhz with 96mb ram :) Surprising eh?
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not really surprising that it runs, its surprising that it runs at a reasonable speed. :)

I had the sites hosted off of a computer that is used by most people in the family and is far away from the router with a wireless connection that drops with the slightest movement of the antenna. This new one is dedicated and much closer to the router which are the main reasons for moving the site over. I wish I had an extra "modern" (as in not loud and weird sounding like old drives are) hard drive to stick the site files on, but for now I'm serving them through a network share on my computer which works pretty well.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the drive with Abyss is not the OS drive, you could change over to a USB drive. Abyss will work just fine with a removable drive.

http://CodeBin.yi.org
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do that if I could find my 1GB flash drive. :P Alternatively I could use my iPod, I don't use that much...anyway, for now the serving off of a share on my computer works fine.

Edit: Toast is going pretty good, just needs polish and maybe some overall tweaks. I'd also like to add the ability to upload pictures and stuff (not difficult, I'm just sort of lazy).
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Server! Reply with quote

rrinc wrote:
Titles are deceptive

Not that deceptive. An old P3 500 MHz computer which can run XP and still do something useful is always good news. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: