Running Windows Server 2003 legally...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JOhnMag4u
-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Running Windows Server 2003 legally... Reply with quote

In order to legally run Windows Server 2003, do I need 1 CAL for every person accessing my hosted websites? I am asking because I see that many WS2003's come with a 5 CAL pack (or even more). Do I need multiple CALs?
-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote from windows:

"There are two types of Windows Client Access Licenses from which to choose: device-based or user-based, also known as Windows Device CALs or Windows User CALs. This means you can choose to acquire a Windows CAL for every device (used by any user) accessing your servers, or you can choose to acquire a Windows CAL for every named user accessing your servers (from any device)."

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/caloverview.mspx

why are you asking a windows server 2003 question on aprelium's forums? seems kinda out of place for this, not to mention this is for general questions of abyss and aprelium, neither of which has anything to do with server 2k3 so this is supposed to be in off topic.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am asking this question because I plan to have Abyss X2 running on WS2003. I'm not sure where else to ask. Thanks for the information and link...I am going to try to contact MS directly.
-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait why pay for ws2k3 if you plan to run abyss on it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate IIS, but my server will have 2 Xeon processors, Intel Server Mobo, Server Ram, and Server Class hard drives. From my research, WS2003 has better allocation abilities and support for server level hardware. If you have any better suggestions I would love to hear them, I am no expert on servers.
-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Running Windows Server 2003 legally... Reply with quote

JOhnMag4u wrote:
In order to legally run Windows Server 2003, do I need 1 CAL for every person accessing my hosted websites? I am asking because I see that many WS2003's come with a 5 CAL pack (or even more). Do I need multiple CALs?

No. CAL's are for people logging onto any domains you have running on the server, domain being a network domain (not a domain name like a .com). If the situation you describe were true it would make hosting websites too expensive.

EDIT: This is the general questions forum and this question fits in fine if you ask me.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Running Windows Server 2003 legally... Reply with quote

JOhnMag4u,

CALs do not concern Web serving use.

Actually, what Microsoft is calling a connection/CAL in their terminology corresponds to accesses to the server authenticated against a Windows user database.

Web server accesses do not fall in that category as they are raw anonymous TCP/IP connections that do not require any Windows-based authentication.

The document http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/caloverview.mspx (cited above) confirms that. It even explicitely takes Web serving as an example of use that belongs to Windows CAL exceptions:

Quote:
Note the following general exception to Windows CAL requirements: Windows CALs are not required when access to the server software is unauthenticated and conducted through the Internet. Authenticated access is defined as an exchange of user or application credentials between the server software and a user or device. An example of this exception would be if unidentified users browsed your public Web site. Windows CALs would not be required for those users.

Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
madman1337
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea the first post I had that I quickly edited stated that you shouldn't need any CAL's but I thought for some reason you were doing more than just webhosting so I thought you did, so I looked up their policy on CAL's.

all you need is to go out and buy a copy of ws2k3 and install everything and it should run just fine and legally.

I would try using a linux distro it would be a lot cheaper...but thats only if you like linux. ws2k3 would work fine but to me that seems a bit expensive. I host stuff on my home network using a rackmount with ubuntu server and it runs just fine...didn't cost me a penny (I even got the server for free...what a deal)

o yea and btw his first post didn't seem to have anything to do with abyss so thats why I thought it was out of place...I can see its right where its supposed to be now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would also be fine with Windows XP, no need for 2003. Though some dedicated server hosts wouldn't like that (if you're renting a dedicated server).
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
madman1337
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I'm not sure how well xp will work with SCSI drives and advanced RAID arrays. I assume it will work but i'm not 100% certain it will perform as well, since most drivers are for servers, but I guess they'll perform decently.

it will run, but it might run better in ws2k3 I think...

once again I use ubuntu and it runs like a charm, and you can also use fedora if you are looking for a bit more and still free. SuSE is pretty good...I have a few friends that run servers identical to mine on it and it runs pretty well too.

o yea and nice site btw...
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: