How to password protect a directory with out the 404 error !

View previous topic :: View next topic  
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: How to password protect a directory with out the 404 error ! Reply with quote

Hey my name is Josh and I would like to show you how to password protect your directories with out any problem

Requirments:

Abyss Web Server X1 or older version

Now if you ever tried password protecting your page , you might have seen that 404 not found error come up, I have the answer to your problem , listen carefully and you will have a password protected directory

step 1. create a custom page

step 2. Go to your abyss web console

Step 3. click on , server configuration -> advanced -> custom error pages

step 4. click on add , note: do not enter a default error page as this caused error 404 not found when i password protected my directory

step 5. type the Error code as 404 (you need a custom error page)

step 6.Type in the field for , Associated URL:
http://your ip or domain/404.html

rename your custom error page as 404.html, I just have this as an example , you can use your default name if you want but make sure you put the right path to your error page.

step 7. click ok and restart the server , now click on Users and Groups

step 8. Click on add where it says users, put a user name you would like to have and type a password you would like , I recommend using your birth date, example: month/day/year

step 9. click ok and restart your server, go to Access Control and click on add, for Virtual path, put the path to your directory , Example: /images
or if your dir is 2 levels deep put Example: /images/smilies , what ever your directory path is , and put for Realm, the name you want your directory to be, Example: Brians Directory, make sure, Allow/deny is on the drop menu, put a check mark by your user name where it says, Allow Access To
, click ok and restart the server.

step 10. All you have to do now is type the URL to your directory,
Example: http://your ip or domain/your directory in your browser

Thats all their is to it , if you have any questions, please post them here or e-mail me, You should only have to protect your , phpMyAdmin, directory you got from http://www.phpmyadmin.net/ , if you password protect a dir where your images are located , when your page loads the images, it will ask for a password.

Error solved ! :D
-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Worked Great, I have setup access before, but for some reason this time was a great pain. That stupid error 404 got me.

My headache is now gone.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
amba
-

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Bug !!! In the Access Control !! Reply with quote

Hey guys... Am kinda new here... although not new to hosting!!

The Abyss webserver is DEFINETLY a favourite... The bug is this... C'mon lets all try...

CREATE A CUSTOM ERROR PAGE, say
http://my-domain.com/error401.htm

Now make this the defaulut page for your 401 error codes
Console > Sever Settings > Advanced > Error Messages (add 401 and your URL)

Now, try accessing a password protected directory... It just goes of to the 401 page... !!! somebody in Aprelium listening ????????????????

Just telling so that you can fix it in the next release.. I dint try the Beta, dont ask me ;)

Thanks,
Amba
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
olly86
-

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which browser are you using?

This is a known problem with Opera, http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4320
-

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: I Use IE 6.0 Reply with quote

I use IE 6.0

I am not really sure if that is a browser problem although Aprelium asserts so... But i really dont care, as they also have a solution for it ;-)

Give a relative link to the 401 custom error page that you have created instead of giving a absolute link.

THIS SOLVED THE PROBLEM FOR ME...

Dont ask me, why so... I dont know... i was told by aprelium that it is a problem with the HTTP protocol... which i seriously doubt !! The HTTP will by default return a status 200 (OK) followed by the Authorisation request when ppl try to view your webpage... (infact, this is what the server has to do...) But, also there is a message that will tell the browser where to go (by default it is the error page). The browser will navigate to that page when there is no further instruction from the server after it sends the password !! This seeems to be a minor problem, but i still think (may be i am wrong) that aprelium should look at the problem with their SQE team again !!!

Anyway, this is a really great piece of software... which is definetly highly appreciated. All these efforts are not to critic the working, but just to make it better !!!

Amba
olly86
-

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: I Use IE 6.0 Reply with quote

amba wrote:
The browser will navigate to that page when there is no further instruction from the server after it sends the password !!
That's not how Opera behaves

my custom error page is displayed before i have sent my user name and password back to the server
-

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shall test that :)

mawuahahaha :)
Nanaki
-

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tutorial Reply with quote

I'm having the same problems as amba, also using IE 6.0 - without a custom 401 page, it works fine, but once I've added a 401 page it takes me straight to that without asking for a username and password...
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Tutorial Reply with quote

Nanaki,

You're getting this behavior because you've associated error 401 with a full URL of the form http://yoursite/dir1/dir2/page.html . To have it work as expected, associate it with a relative URL (only /dir1/dir2/page.html).
Nanaki
-

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thankyou very much Aprelium. I didn't really understand that "relative" and "absolute" thing until you explained it.
Works now though :).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Tutorials All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: