Intermittent loss

View previous topic :: View next topic  
talkRowing
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: Intermittent loss Reply with quote

The question of pages not being viewbale to the outside world has come up before i know, but my problem is slightly different in that it is intermittent (OK 50/50 chance on getting a page or not, maybe less).

Im running Abyss on a windows XP machine that shares its connection with another machine. These both sit behind a Belkin Gateway 'Router' that shares the connection. I've got the router configured to send all port 80 request made to my WAN IP on towards the local IP of my server machine.

Trying to connect to my WAN IP from inside the network, ie leaving my internal one and coming back in never works but using the 'wordy' version (sorry don't know the terminology) http://public1-pool3-6-cust114.pool.broadband.ntl.com seems to work - at first.

However running PHP pages i soon get page cannot be found, server may be busy etc. My network also seems to go crazy as i get a message saying 'Network cable unplugged' which means i loose all connectivity briefly. Is this because i'm trying to loop out og my local network and then back in? Am i trying to connect to a dodgy address? This problem doesn't seem to occur so much with non PHP pages which serve fast a lightning (guess they would do as they never leave my ISP network)

Im stressing this is intermittent, allthough it happens *a lot*

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

AFTER THOUGHT: could it be the long file names that the php scripts generate when tehy send information from one page to another? Both easyboard and invisionboard are doing this to me - arghhh! :(
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XP has its own internal firewall... Have you changed ports? If you're using port 80 does XPs firewall know that? Are you using any other firewalls? Do you have a static or dynamic IP address?

Sometimes installing a forum script requires you input a static address. phpBB2 broke a lot of pages on me once because my IP changed... Some pages were good some broke...

Just tips I guess, Good luck :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: