Port 80 Listening Problem in Linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
K0GAR
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Port 80 Listening Problem in Linux Reply with quote

HELP!!!!

I am currently running Debian and I am trying to use the Abyss Web Server, because I used to use it on my old Windoze Server. I have converted to Linux, and know enough to get buy, but I can not get Abyss to start on Port 80. I know it is because something is taking, or using Port 80, but I cant find what. I cant access anything on port 80 from Firefox, IE, Telnet, Etc. Does anyone know of a command you can issue in the terminal, kind of like netstat, or something to see what is using what port? If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

KØGAR
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Moxxnixx
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey KØGAR. Welcome to the forums.

First off, to use any port under 1024 in Linux you must be logged in as root. Are you?

If you are, try using...
Code:
netstat -n -p -t -a
All port numbers should be listed under the "Local Address" column.

-n shows numerical addresses
-p displays the program
-t is the same as --tcp
-a shows both listening and non-listening sockets
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, most things that you want to use that are < port 1024 (IE ports 1-1023, including 80) you MUST be logged in as ROOT or a user that can access the restricted ports. If you have NO experience in linux use, i suggest you learn Linux before trying to use the root user, as you CAN DESTROY your system.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.. I am aware of what root can do. I have used linux since FC4 came out, so I know a enough to do what I have needed to do so far. As far as the ports, I was unaware that you had to be root to use anything below 1024. Thanks for the info guys. I will try this and see what happens.

KØGAR
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
K0GAR
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WORKS!!!!!!!!!! Thanks an Million!!!!

KØGAR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: