webserver workstation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrdeahl
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: webserver workstation Reply with quote

Howdy:

Got a problem I need a solution for. Hopefully someone can help.

My setup is a dsl modem going into a switch. out of the switch into 2 different routers. one router has the setup for the webserver(windows 2000) and the webserver is on that router by itself. The other router has my 6 XP machines lan with each access to the net and other machines.

None of the lan can access the webserver without going through the internet.

Problem is I need to transfer large files on a daily basis to the webserver from my main work machine. ftp is to slow.

Since they are on different routers they of course can't talk to each other. If I put them all on the same router I can connect to the webserver via the lan but not through the internet. I would imagine that hs something to do with the router.

To get around that problem I was thinking of setting up 2 nic cards in the main work machine and the webserver. I could do a different ip and gateway for these additional cards and use a null modem cable.

Is this workable or is there a better way?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: webserver workstation Reply with quote

jrdeahl,

Could you please make a little drawing with your network structure and the IP addresses of each device? This would help us understand how everything is connected.

There should be some way to tweak one of the two routers' routing tables to make it forward traffic of a given IP to the other instead of sending it outside your network.
jrdeahl
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do that but I want to be able to go out to the net to check and test net access. Only thing I want to do is use the lan portion internally for transfering files. Using both routers would require more than one nic in at least one machine. That brings me back to the intial q about using the 2 nic in the 2 machines.
jrdeahl
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it working!

It uses only 1 additional nic in the server.

Basiclly this makes the web server router to computer use a different lan dns setting than the default. Then use the default dns on a second nic for the lan router.

What I did was to go into the webserver router and left the WAN settings alone, the same as setup for the static ip. Then changed the LAN settings from the default 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.10.1. Also had to change my ports from .1. to .10.

Then went into the NIC network connection and enetered a fixed 192.168.10.100 and added the WAN DNS setting under NIC DNS setting.

Added a second NIC in the web server and let it defaut to the 192.168.0.1 of the LAN router by connecting it straight to the router. This also lets all the computers on the lan access the web server files.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrdeahl,

Thank you for the update and the detailed explanation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: