Bell Sympatico DSL Networking Issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kivin
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Bell Sympatico DSL Networking Issues Reply with quote

Hello World,

I've seen several threads in regards to general web-hosting issues with Sympatico DSL on these forums, and it appears that people have been able to resolve their hosting issues, though they've not thought to explicitly describe the means of resolution on the forum (-_-)

I was hoping someone could share with me their thoughts on using Abyss to host a web server on a sympatico connection.

Here's a bit of background:
I'm on a winxp pro sp2 o/s
I have no router. My internet is directly connected from my Speedstream 5200 to my NIC.
I've tried hosting off the generic port 80, 8080, and a variety of random alphabet soup numbers in the 30k-32k range.

Once abyss is running, I'm only able to access my server internally by the address of http://localhost:(port)
Using the IP Address provided at my modem configuration screen gives me the following firefox error:

The connection has timed out
The server at (ip) is taking too long to respond.

And in IE:
The page cannot be displayed
Cannot find server...

Lastly, I am aware that I probably need to enable port forwarding. However, the sticky at the top wasn't helpful for me.
Entering my router (read: modem?) config at http://192.168.2.1, doesn't provide me with any options for forwarding...
And I'm unable to locate any speedstream configuration pages at http://speedstream or http://192.168.254.254 as detailed in my modem's instruction manual.

Thanks in advance for your time & consideration.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
ccs
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kivin,

First of all, you're probably not going to be able to do much configuration on that modem. The ISP will have the proper settings for communications and any changes are more than likely to just cause worse problems.

Second, you'll need to find a port that the ISP will allow incoming traffic on. There are software tools you can use to automate this a bit, but until you have proper routing in place it won't make much difference.

What you want to do is get a router. I'm partial to Netgear, but you can decide for yourself what you want. A $60 investment should get you a decent on. Now a days, its probably worth getting a wireless router even if you don't think you'll need wireless at this time.

The "modem" will then connect to the router instead of your PC, then your PC to the router. Basically, the router sits in the middle. You then configure the router to port forward to your PC for web traffic. The DSL modem will assign a dynamic (changeable) address to your router (the router will take care of that for you, don't worry). But you'll want to create a static (non-changing) address for your computer. Then the router will always know where to send the inbound web traffic (some routers do this with dynamic address too, but I much prefer a static address "inside" the router for all my PCs).

Once you get that in place, you need a DynamicDNS service (there are lots of them, take your pick). and you register your web site name with them and tell them what port you can listen on. (this might be some trial and error on your part to find what your ISP will allow, if anything).

Once you get the router, the rest of the tutorials on this site will make more sense.

One thing to note however. ISPs do not block access to servers just to be mean. The DO monitor the traffic going to your site and they WILL know that you are hosting a server in short order. They MAY not care if your traffic is minimal, but then they just might pull your plug too. If you read your connection agreement, I'll guarantee you that they say in no uncertain terms that they will cut you off if you run a server on their lines unless you have a specific business account that allows such traffic.

I'm just warning you up front that you are (highly likely) to be breeching your service agreement and you very well could be looking for a new provider. It may not happen, but it can, and does, with increasing regularity.

I know, because I shut off people all the time for breaking our TOS. :)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Kivin
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi css, thanks for your correspondence.

First, having spent several more hours since I wrote the OP working on my connection, I've come to much the same conclusion - Getting my speedstream to act as a router is absolute madness. I'm going to have to purchase a router if I want this to work.

It may be worth nothing that, following a guide on the portforward.com site, I have established a constant ip internal ip address. The disconnect I'm unable to bridge is getting my modem to act as a router for the port fwding to occur.

As to the EULA, don't worry about me, there. Other people have been known to successfully keep HTTP servers running on unorthodox ports. I don't think Bell really cares until you reach too much bandwidth on the upstream. And I only really need the server for remote access to little things. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
ccs
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kivin,

You're right on about the speedstream acting as a router, its really not intended to do that in this situation. An inexpensive SOHO router will get you where you want to be.
Quote:

As to the EULA, don't worry about me, there. Other people have been known to successfully keep HTTP servers running on unorthodox ports. I don't think Bell really cares until you reach too much bandwidth on the upstream

Ok, I just wanted to mention it so you were aware. I can tell you though, that I've heard many people make these same justifications ("others do it" / "Its just a little server" and find themselves facing a threat of upgrading to more expensive service or no service at all. I know a number of my customers think this same thing, but what they don't realize is that the moment I have to look at increasing my overall bandwidth (due to more customers) I will shut down those with servers first. There is no way you can "hide" server traffic regardless of what port you use. The ISP knows exactly what is happening on their bandwidth at all times. Its not unusual for you to "get away" with it for awhile, but trust me, when the ISP decides to clean house (and they do from time to time) you'll find they aren't usually so understanding. After all, they know full well that blocking the standard ports won't stop people, but when they need to groom their pipes, you are already dead because you couldn't possibly do what your doing without consciously knowing that you're trying to cheat the system. In essence, by setting up a port-forward DDNS system, you are giving the ISP the only legal argument they need to prove breach of contract. Just ask anyone who works in the ISP business, its a hands down win for the ISP 100% of the time.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: