How did we all find Abyss Web Server?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
datwig
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:43 am    Post subject: How did we all find Abyss Web Server? Reply with quote

Here's my story...

Me and my friends exchange files alot through AOL Instant Messanger (AIM) but some of my friends have firewalls that prevent them from receiving files through AIM. I needed a nice, easy server to send files to my friends. I must have searched through at least 20 Web Servers. I found Abyss early, but ignored it because I didn't know howto use it.

After about 5 hours of suffling through Web Servers at Cnet's download section, I gave up and asked a friend for a good web server suggestion. He said Apache and gave me a link. I downloaded it. Didn't know what the heck was going on. A command prompt interface was difficult to understand and use. I said "Forget this s**t" and I retried some of the Webservers that I had previously downloaded.

Abyss was the third. I looked at the console, and tried it out. It worked beautifully. After I found out what PHP was, I installed that and started to try to learn howto script (went to a bookstore and bought a $30 book). I then downloaded and installed MySQL. I also attempted to install to install PHPMyAdmin, but couldn't. That is, untill vbgunz helped me :D

bottom line:
-Abyss is the easiest to use out of any other webserver I have seen.

If you want, tell me/us about how you found Abyss. I'd like to read it.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Dave
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

err...okies....

Just over a year ago I finally got fed up of running PWS on Windows 98, the speed, the 10 connections limit amongst other things just aggrivated me, so I searched on google for "Free Webserver", or something similar, I came up with Cnet, read the reviews, and downloaded. Installed it, never had any need for support therefore no-need to register on these forums, I guess I thought there were some people who needed a little more help than me ;) Anyways, a week or so after getting Abyss installed I downloaded PHP and MySQl, installed and continued with PHP-Nuke and others running locally... Perhaps a little under a month after that I installed Perl and ASP, then, a little while ao I registered on these forums, Cant remember why, I just did.... that was over 150 posts ago..... :)
WhiteDevil
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my story:

i had just finished a day out at my uncles fixing his drain with my dad and i was bored to hell.. i was searching through download.com trying to find any new programs like i do every few months... i straggled into web developers and found the servers link, must have tried a few before Abyss but saw its good rating and good comments and immediately downloaded it.. i also tried apache but that was after abyss, talk about hard to install apache did my head in. My mate also used apache, he said it didnt work properly so i had no problem in recommending Abyss because of its easy set up...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now mine:

I looked around the whole internet to find free wbehosting offering PHP and mySQL. I found CoolFreePages, but their support sucks. Than I find a good host, but it was a contest and I knew I didn't have a chance of winning. Than I decided to host myself. I looked around the whole internet. The first one that I saw was Abyss, but when I went to the control panel, I got confussed and unistalled it. Than I heard over 64% of all websites used Apache. I tried it, but it was soo confussing. So I unistalled that. Imust have gone through atleast 20 web server programs. Than I decided to try Abyss one more time. Than I stuck to it and began to get the hang of it. Than I went to the site of the creator, Aprelium, for tips on installing PHP and all the other goodies. Now I got a free server that has PHP,mySQL,ASP,Perl, and Python. It should be that 64% use Abyss instead of Apache.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day my girl introduced me to the 8bit nintendo ROMs. I downloaded about 200+ of them and thought theirs got to be SONY PS, DreamCast, N64, etc ROMs on the net so I went looking for them. I managed to find over 90+ N64 ROMs and I told a friend...

He wanted a way to view them but I had no way in showing him what I had... BadBlue (personal file sharing server) sent me an ad (share your directories with friends) and I thought I look into it. After being more confused than a baby at a topless bar I managed to find my way to the DynDNS forums...

I read up a little more about DynDNS and its need for a server so I downloaded BadBlue... Boy, I could not get it to work... In a sense lucky... I heard of Apache and tried it, no go, Xitami, no go, Abyss and I passed it right by... Ultimately my needs changed from needing a server to needing something that works so I back traced my steps...

Utlimately I fell in love with Abyss and decided to keep it. I found some strong users on the forums and the server was solid. Ever since, I simply got stuck with it. I never shared the ROMs with my friend but Abyss remained on the desktop. After comparing it with others I knew I probably had one of the best kept serving secrets on the web.

In the end I stand happy with it, its users support and ability to work with major languages. All around its probably the best application I've got all year. Thats a part of my story :)
s1asher
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use Lycos for webhosting. I tried to install YaBBSE (Don't ask me why, I've touched phpBB2 and never gone back lol) and for one reason or another, I couldn't. I searched for other hosts with no luck doing the above.

I started talking to a friend at college the next day, and for one reason or another, I started going off wondering how you could host your own web server, but all he could come up with was my own little network that others could dial into. Needless to say, I didn't feel that was adequate...

I got home that day and loaded up trusty old google, searched for host your own web server, and results came back fruitless (came back with offers for hosting.) I then went to play through UO free shards, only to find a shard with a no-ip.com IP, so I checked the site, and set that up.

I tried countless web servers, downloading from download.com, then installing one by one. Apache - Wouldn't set up, couldn't be bothered... Xitami - PHP wasn't working for me... these happened countless times till i stumbled upon a wonder named Abyss.

Simple, Easy to configure, Powerfull enough for my usage, and a great user base that supports it with guides and tutorials, and help with troubleshooting. Thanks Aprelium, you have a great product here, and I wish you the best for the future.
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this awesome web server from , download.com and i love it , the only problem im having is setting up those stupid forums that requires MYSQL and i just don't have the brain to set it up ,but eather way this web server kicks @$$
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been using free hosting for a while now and yesterday I thought I'd setup my own server cause I needed a decent host with php, MySql and a few other scripts (cause I'm making my custom RPG script). Anyways I tried apache, didn't like the interface cause I'm lazy and then tried a few others. Most of them didn't even support php or MySql cause well, they sucked. So finally I found Abyss and decided to give it a go after I read that it had a GUI interface. Well, it was really easy to install and the intructions for the installation of php and perl as well as the MySql instructions were really simple.

Anyways, I've been up for 27 hours now and already my php rpg script is coming along nicely thanx to this server. This is SOO much better than trying to develope stuff on a freehost, lol. Thanx Aprelium!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
owhite
-

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How did you find out about Abyss Reply with quote

Dunno if this is considered flamebait, but the first I knew of Abyss was when a vulnerability was posted to Bugtraq! I can't say I suggest this as a method of advertising in the future, but most of the vulns start off with a reasonably consise, positive description of what the vulnerable program does, and this one mentioned Abyss.

http://lists.insecure.org/lists/bugtraq/2003/Feb/0151.html (or something similar)

Anyway, I'm testing it now for use on a business-card CD, where I want to get a local webserver running Perl scripts, and perhaps even include a copy of K-Meleon ( http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/ ) with which to view the site, all running from CD. One can only hope...
-

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was stairing at my desktop and out of nowhere i heard a voice softly repeating "aprelium.com" So i decided to giver a look. love at first site... :oops:

actually, i found it from infoproductlab.com. i tried iis on win2k and then apache.. stunk... abyss.... ROCKS!
DarkSim905
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After installation of my own Circumventor, I wanted to figure out how Apache worked. I had problems. Needless to say, I found Apache. It has made my past few days.

Utnil about two days ago my school filter (BESS) Blocked it.
(Not that it matters, I got around it)
Now I love Abyss Web Server... :D
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I DON'T SEE WHY WEBMASTERS USE APACHE , APACHE SUCKS ! :evil:
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe you can go to peacefire.org; and tell them to upgrade their Circumventor instructions, to download Abyss instead of Apache... I think Apache is only used for a Secure Server...
I don't know why Apache is required, to host one CGI script that will eventually get blocked with a predictable Ip... :|
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apache is not secure I hear so many stories of hackers being able to hack into those servers, abyss web server is secure , i see hacking activity like all the time and no one ever got into abyss 8)
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apache is for buisness mostly. It is the number 1 web server for many things, mostly hosting. Now Abyss The Standerd is for personal use. It doesn't have as much features as apache but the Pro version soon will.
Deledar
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apache is for buisness mostly. It is the number 1 web server for many things, mostly hosting. Now Abyss The Standerd is for personal use. It doesn't have as much features as apache but the Pro version soon will.

Also os17fan, around 67% of the people out there can prove you wrong.
khoukha
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: how did abyss can beat apache Reply with quote

i agree with deledar in fact abyss is being the standard for personnel use et day by day it coming the best one. but i think when i see the improvements done by aprelium in one year , i become so excited to see the professionel version how it will be.
the rule or perhaps the advice that i can make to aprelium is to maintain the good developpement work that they are doing and specialy the spirit of community :D
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go about crashing Apache because of the fear of no GUI or because of the lack of understanding. I think Apache is awesome, stable and as secured as any of its most highly respectable competitors. After all security isn't up to the software but up to the Administrator behind it.

I am currently working hard on an Apache project and find myself believing the idea of it being hard is a myth if not a legend. I am not sure of the statistics about servers and weaknesses but if Abyss ran on over 60% of the servers world wide you'd probably hear a 60% increase in holes, etc.

I really don't know why I just jumped in here but one thing for sure is Abyss too is an awesome server and if I ever make the switch I will never disrespect it one bit. It was indeed my incubator into the server world and if anyone asked I would most likely recommend it over Apache until a good GUI for Apache shines forth.

I'm done, sorry if I made no sense, tired, worked over a whole day on my newest project and am brain beat... Just checking the forum for a quick read... Good luck :)
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be mistaken about Internet information server , formaly known as IIS , sorry about that 8)

So apache is 100% hacker proof safe :?:
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Servers are like cars... If you do not know how to drive one but get behind the wheel of one, you threaten the security of everyone around you including yourself...

A car could be a wonderful thing or it could be your own demise.

I learned a long time ago to never blame anything or anyone other than yourself for everything good and bad that happens to you... Apache and IIS are superb servers including others not mentioned here...

a Server can be your best friend or your best enemy but overall in the end one fact rings true... It is up to the administrator to secure the package...

Good luck :)
Deledar
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To tell you the truth nothing in the internet can be 100% "hacker proof" As technology advances, so will hacking programs. They will just find more holes in the program and hack you. No matter how secure you think something is, someone will find a way to crack it.

BTW vb, it's "worst enemy" not "best enemy"
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deledar wrote:
To tell you the truth nothing in the internet can be 100% "hacker proof" As technology advances, so will hacking programs. They will just find more holes in the program and hack you. No matter how secure you think something is, someone will find a way to crack it.

BTW vb, it's "worst enemy" not "best enemy"

I think we are off-topic here. But anyway....
Nothing is 100% hack proof, is true but if have some kind of knowledge and applying more security to harden it will make it harder to break in.
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who cares ...i found all the web servers available by pluging web server software ...into my google ....and it squirted out what was there... mind you some search engines squirt out nothing.... :lol:

hey jacob im off to milk me cow!

armish paradise eat ya heart out! :wink: :P
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
who cares ...i found all the web servers available by pluging web server software ...into my google ....and it squirted out what was there... mind you some search engines squirt out nothing....

I am not sure what you just said....

Quote:
hey jacob im off to milk me cow!

armish paradise eat ya heart out!

Mooo.... Got Milk?
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my milk is running jacob....its more than i can say for me phone.

:lol: :wink:
alsomegamemaka
-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: My story Reply with quote

I had a website that was hosted on freewebs. I didn't have enough stuff.
I was looking for some scripts at www.download.com
Until I found a section called Servers.

I tought I could Only use servers on the Big Machines.

I love this server! :D

Expert at: HTML, PHP, MYSQL, WWW, GM
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Monkey_ass
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Apyss on download.com

It was a day I suddenly got an urge to learn php and mysql and needed a place to test :D
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Karasu Kami
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Err Reply with quote

I was finally tired of using angelifre. End of story.
http://quartermoon.info
http://loc.paeon-hosting.com
http://genjipoetry.paeon-hosting.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
topniz
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I tell you that i have downloaded the version 0.1 of Abyss?

Do you know why Abyss? 8O

In order to make it promoted at Freshmeat (where it appeared the first times), the name of the server must begin with 'A'. That way, the donwload will appear the first. But there is Apache, so the name of the server must begin with 'AB'. And what acronym could be choosen? Abyss, as deep as Abyss (like the film).

Now, you all know the story... Astucious, isn't it? :twisted:

Those of Aprelium should be found of business and marketing subtility...
8)
Karasu Kami
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Boredom, What can it do? Reply with quote

topniz wrote:
If (Should be "did") I tell you that i (Where is your shift button?) have(Should be deleted) downloaded the version 0.1 of Abyss?

Do you know why Abyss (Continued) Is named abyss? 8O

In order to make it(Should be deleted) promoted(Should be deleted) (Add "it" here) it at Freshmeat (where it appeared the first times(Should be deleted)), the name of the server must begin with (Add "an" here) an 'A'. That way, the donwload (Not a word) will appear the
(Should be deleted) first. But there is Apache, so the name of the server must begin with 'AB'. And what acronym could be choosen (Wrong version of the word, should be "Chosen")? Abyss, as deep as ("An" added here.) an Abyss (like the film).

Now, you all know the story... Astucious (Isn't a word), isn't it? :twisted:

Those of Aprelium should be found (Should be "fond") of business and marketing subtility...
8)

Boredom is your friend...
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
topniz
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Boredom, What can it do? Reply with quote

Karasu Kami wrote:
Boredom is your friend...

Merci pour tes réflexions...

J'en prendrai note pour la prochaine fois. :lol:
Karasu Kami
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:28 am    Post subject: Uhh Reply with quote

If you have something to say, speak english. Baka okama gaijin-oni.
Systemsoft
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found AWS on download.com, when I boring and browsing categories, what program we can translate...We select AWS and with help of Aprelium Technologies, Systemsoft works over Polish version of Abyss Web Server, now. Polish users - stay tuned!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Moxxnixx
-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karasu,
There are a few people on this board that don't speak english very well
and it's even harder to type it. Cut topniz some slack!!!
In his last post, he was thanking you for your "opinion" and he'll take note
of it for future reference. Now, if he was being sarcastic or not, is your guess.

Here's one for your BOOKMARKS. I suggest you use it!!!
http://translation.langenberg.com/

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...back on topic,
I'm a freeware "junkie" and I found Abyss on WebAttack.
I was curious to see how good it was.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Karasu Kami
-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: err Reply with quote

I don't talk to spanish people, therefor I don't need that bookmark. Thanks ^^;
topniz
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foolish, it was french and not spanish (ignorant).

Even though i can understand your 'elitist' position since you have an extra ego... You have a grain of an intolerant military chief (in a war game you enjoy to play with...)
eworldsytes
-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: How I found Abyss Web Server Reply with quote

About a year ago, I was hosting my websites on free web hosts. So of course there were ads. The ads were...VERY, VERY, VERY annoying. Then I heard of Microsoft IIS. So I searched for info on this IIS and looked for a download. I found it and tried to install it. But I had Win Xp Home, so I couldn't. I searched for some kind of workaround and found one that was very technical (I didn't know what the heck I was supposed to do). So then I gave up on IIS. Like many, I tried Apache. Too much configuration!! After that, I almost gave up. Then I came across http://freewarefiles.com. I clicked on Web Development and then clicked on Server Tools. And what do you know, I found a web server that was called Abyss. Downloaded the installation and everything was fine. The console was user-friendly and very easy to use. Now all I had to do was find a domain and I was set! Abyss Web Server is,hands down, the best personal web server there is for a novice to web servers.

[Now of course, I run more sites, so I switched to another web server with multiple site hosting. I plan to return to Abyss as soon as Aprelium releases the next version]
Suscriptor
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Found it when I wanted a web server for Linux Reply with quote

I used to use KeyFocus Web Server on MS Windows machines, but when I started to use Linux distributions I realized they don't have a Linux version (at least a free version to my knowledge) ... that's how I got to learn about Abyss Web Server, while downloading and testing several servers.

Abyss Web Server became my new favorite, and I use it in MS Windows machines also. I haven't discarded KF Web Server at all.

I'm a community member at Kubuntu-es.org and I wrote a basic tutorial in spanish so others can benefit from it. (Soy miembro de la comunidad Kubuntu-es.org y escribí un tutorial básico en español para que otros puedan beneficiarse de él):

http://www.kubuntu-es.org/wiki/internet-redes/howto-como-instalar-servidor-paginas-web-abyss-web-server
anybody
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was an easy one for me. I did a search for free web server on google.
ChipAndTracy
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: How and why I found Abyss Reply with quote

I know this is an older topic, however I thought I'd chime in anyway.

I found Abyss in a google search for a personal web server that I could run from home. I'm a musician/entertainer by trade and have audience members coming up all the time asking if I know this song or that one. Well since I've played professionally for over thirty years, my most common answer had been, "Well I've played it but never sang it. I could probably do it if I had the lyrics." So started the search for a great lyric database. In short order I had collected the lyrics to over sixteen thousand songs. Well word got out around my musician buddy's, and the next thing I know their all saying, "Hey man, can I get a copy of those lyrics?" I got tired of having to try and remember to burn them a copy on cd, so thought, "Heck, I'll set up a server at home and they can download them to their hart's content."

I tried several of the all-in-one packages, but being totally blind and relying on a screen reader, most of them had interfaces that my screen reader just wouldn't work with. I looked at Abyss, read through the forums, FAQs, and the documentation, and said, "why not!" I downloaded Abyss, MySQL, the pre-packaged PHP536 available here, Hmailserver, and Active Perl, and with in an hour and a half to two hours had a server complete with my own domain, mailserver, MySQL databases, and ability to run scripts up and running. I'd say that's pretty darn easy. I've added the package OCPortal available at http://ocportal.com and now have a home server for my family and friends that I'm completely happy with. I can keep a up-to-date press kit for prospective music buyers, I can share my lyric database, mp3 collection, family pics, have a chat board, message forum, and everything else I need, and I'm just tickled pink.

Aprelium ... You rock! Thanks.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: