Strange Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel
-

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Strange Problem Reply with quote

I'v ran Abyss for years and until now I never had this problem. Suddenly out of nowhere it begins. Here it is:

I have both of my computers hooked to linksys wireless-G router. (This is not a new thing they have always used the same router). I recently noticed that whenever abyss runs it's constantly runs. This in turn causes both internet connections on both computer's to run very slow. One day It took almost 10 minutes to load a web page. I have tried setting bandwidth limits and it seems to not even have any kind of effect?

Does anyone know what might be causing such an issue and if so are there any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Angel
-

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you try to isolate the problem? Have you tried any difference kind of (web)servers? Are you using a static or dynamic page?

Have you tried using a regular TP cable or moved the access point to another location?

I'm not really a big fan of Linksys, last time I bought one (WTR54G) it kept disconnecting me all the time.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Angel
-

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried another webserver KF webserver http://www.keyfocus.net/kfws/ just to see if it would still occur and it did. However I'm sick and not able to get to the back of my comptuer where the connection is until my husband get's home, else I would have tried it myself.

As I said I have been using the same router for quite some time, about 2 years now, and only just now have started to have the problem. I downloaded a port scanner and that showed no connections at the time.

I'm not really sure what could be causing it.
-

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a UDP flood attack on your line if everything is running slow (since Abyss is not the cause). UDP floods require no reply to the request. They hog bandwidth, thats what they're deisgned to do. If you can, force your IP to change and see if that solves it (this is what I did last time I was UDP flooded). Otherwise contact your ISP and explain the situation. They may be able to put a block in place.

Also, to confirm this, are your modem/router lights always flashing? This could also indicate the attack. If it is, it sounds like someone really hates you.
Angel
-

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I managed to get my IP address changed, and that fixed it all. It had been the same for about the past year and half, strange for comcast. But anywho I'm glad to report all is well. Thanks for the reply underground ;) helpful as always!
-

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it was a flood attack then.
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, one of the few occasions when having a dynamic IP is useful...

I used to have a static IP (for about 2 years), yet I never had any problems.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Angel
-

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's strange huh ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: